Things gone wrong after new hard drive

Discussion in 'General' started by mphayesuk, Nov 4, 2005.

1. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ok under the advice of till in another firum I have put a new hard drive in my server and copied over all the data from /home to /home1 and then changed the fstab to swap them round and then commented out the old /home settings so that I could unplug the old hard drive.

During the copying process two things did'nt copy

1) sym link for my test site which I recreated.
    2) maildir in ispconfig directory could not be copied so I sorted that out

No I have a problem with permissions in order to get to my testuser webmail through the control panel I have set the ispconfig directory permissions to 777, which is not good unless thats what it should be.... so any ideas as to what the problem is and how to fix it.

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you copied the contents with owners and permissions preserved? Have a look at the options of the cp command.

3. mphayesuk

nope did'nt do that and now I dont have access to the original hard drive..... do you think a re-install of ispconfig would fix the problem..... if so I delete the admispconfig directory right???? and then re-install.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, a reinstall of ISPConfig wont help. But you can remount your old home partition as e.g. /mnt_home_old and then copy the files and directories again.

5. mphayesuk

Hold on.... the only drive affected was the /home drive the rest of my suse install has not been touched so I thought if I re-install ispconfig it would fix the permissions.

And the old hard drive has been wiped so I either find out what permissions the directories had or I re-install ispconfig and hope it works.

Why wont the re-install work....

Failing that I will have to re-install everything..... so any other ideas would be good.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Because ISPConfig doesn't care about permissions in the web folder. Imagine you have a script in your web directory that needs special permissions because otherwise it doesn't work. Now what would you think if ISPConfig changed those permissions? Not good...

You can re-install ISPConfig, but it needs a "fresh" system, i.e. you should delete all the web sites, users, etc. and then re-create them in the newly installed ISPConfig.

7. mphayesuk

That will be fine I only have one test user with one web site... so all I do really is wipe the /home dir and the install ispconfig as I did when I first set-up the server....

Right????

Should I delete the user accounts from the ISPConfig control panel first.... or just wipe the lot from the hard drive.... I thinking will things be kept in sql or will the new install wipe sql for me as well.

Thanks

8. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can run
    Code:
    /root/ispconfig/uninstall
    to uninstall ISPConfig. You should check afterwards if your webs in /home have been deleted, if not, delete them manually.

9. themachine

themachine ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

In the future, what you want to do is:

Code:
    cp -a /home /home1

The "-a" means "archive" mode... most notably this automatically includes the "-R" for recursive (all sub directories) as well as "-p" to *preserve* permissions and ownership. With out preserving permissions and ownership.. all of the files copied become the possession of the user copying the directory.

10. mphayesuk

Thanks for the post I will print this off and keep it safe for future use.

Thanks everyone for all your posts.