Totally new to this. Need a push.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by marmaduke, Dec 5, 2007.

1. marmaduke

marmaduke New Member

Hi all. I have and old Dell and a Gutsy Gibbon download. Hopefully I can attempt to install it this weekend. I can use some encouragement.
    I plan on wiping out the hard drive and booting Ubuntu to a freshly formatted drive. After everything is installed (hopefully,) What next?

Somewhere on these web sites, I ran across a Howto showing a tutorial for installing Ubuntu. On page 3 it mentions downloading updates with no mention on how to get a modem working. Do I take it that Ubuntu automatically detects the modem, installs drivers, by some miracle, configures itself to your ISP and works? Doesn't sound right.

Right now, I haven't a clue whats in this Dell. It was a $25 yard sale. Haven't tried to run it yet or open up the case yet. But it will be using a dial-up connection, either with its own modem or one I can provide. Are there any brands of modems that would make it easier for Ubunto to detect and instal?.
    For that matter, does Ubuntu work like Windows "detected new hardware" wizard?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. Linux is not my specialty, but my son and I would like to try it out.

And yes, I looked at the ISPConfig forums. Totally lost.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I've not tried this with a dial-up connection, but I guess it will take ages to download all the updates over such a slow connection.
    Do you have a broadband connection (DSL/cable/...) and a router to which you can connect your Ubuntu system?

3. marmaduke

marmaduke New Member

Nope. Still in the Dark Ages here. Are there any web sites that would have the updates? I usually download large files at work and transfer them to a USB flash drive and take them home with me.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer