Traffic - Space / Quota

Discussion in 'General' started by alexillsley, Feb 11, 2007.

1. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

Hi,
    If the root user copies files to a users web directory from a php script based in the ispconfig control panel will it count towards the users traffic?

Also if the root user copies a folder/file and it is bigger than the user quota will it still copy?

Thanks,
    Alex

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Traffic is the amount of files you request by e.g,. mail or http and not the amount that you copy on your server. Maybe you mix this up with quota, which is the amount of space used by your files on the harddisk.

Yes, because the files are owned by root and not by the user and group which own the website. To get correct quota values, even for files that belong to root, you will have to configure the command du command to be run by sudo and enable this behaviour in the config.inc.php file.

3. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

if i copied the files to the users site then chowned() them, would they still work if there over the quota

Also would it be possible to add the size of copied file onto the users traffic

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What do you understand under "work"? The files would be added to the user's hard disk usage, so he would be even more over quota.

No. If you copy files on the system, then there's no traffic. There's only traffic if you copy files over the network.

5. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

I guess i will have to make it so that it puts the files up through FTP instead,

I guess thats why the file manager in ISP Config uses FTP