Transfer my ispConfig to a new server (Docker, good idea for next time?)

Discussion in 'General' started by kameleon1er, Dec 15, 2023.

1. kameleon1er

kameleon1er Member

Hi guys

I have an ispConfig with several websites (5 or 6 wordpress) + 1 Nexcloud instance on a VPS (Debian Buster) not great in terms of performance and quite expensive as I pay by the hour. I want to move to Hostinger with a beefier VPS for less money.

Anyway... I need to transfer my whole farm. Reading the ispConf documentation, if I've understood correctly, I have to reinstall a brand new ispConfig on the other server and then create a user to transfer everything from Server A to Server B?
    On the other hand, in the documentation it says that you need a license key; is this still valid? And if so, how can I get one?

I'm thinking about the future too, if I have to change server again. It's quite a lot of work for me and a lot of stress to have to reinstall everything each time, and especially the stress of making mistakes.

Another question: could Docker be a valid nomad solution? And if so, is it possible to deploy ispConfig in a docker?

As you can see, at my current hosting provider, they have a snapshot or image creation system for my server, and when I needed to upgrade to a larger package, I could deploy a new server from my image. Super fast and secure :)

Thanks for your insights

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Transfer can be done manually but it will be a lot easier if you purchase and use ISPConfig Migration tool.

You can run ISPConfig web server from home so long it has a public IP whether static or dynamic.

And if you run your own server, you can always use proxmox where you can backup your server image and restore it later easily.

I don't know how good is that hostinger but I would suggest you take a look at Hertzner.

Running ISPConfig in docker or other linux container is not supported and as such not advisable but there are users running it in linux container.

kameleon1er likes this.
  3. kameleon1er

kameleon1er Member

Hi everyone, thanks for these tips. What about creating an .iso image? Then deploy it on the new server with the same type of architecture of course.

Thanks a lot.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If the new server has the same architecture, then you can use any Linux backup software, back up the whole OS on the old system, and restore it on the new server.

ahrasis and kameleon1er like this.
  5. kameleon1er

kameleon1er Member

Thanks to all.