transfering hard drive to new server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ariban99, Oct 23, 2015.

1. ariban99

ariban99 Member

Hi,
    I know with windows 10 you cant just take your hard drive and put it in a completely new PC with different hardware, it wont boot. you would need to reinstall a fresh windows copy.

If i want to transfer my hard drive of ispconfig3 to a completely new server with new hardware, can it be done or do i need to install everything fresh and start from the beginning?

thank you
    Ben

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Basically you can just put the drives into a new server. One issue might be if the new server only supports uefi and you use grub or vice-versa.
    Apart from that, the rest should just work.

3. ariban99

ariban99 Member

Hi Sjau,
    Thank you for your response.
    In case the new server supports uefi, what should i do?

4. sjau

in most cases you can switch to legacy mode or something... otherwise no idea :)

5. gral

gral Member

Hi, thats depend in a OS level, nothing to do with ispconfig, in your place i just would do a fresh OS install and then copy the ispconfig files / db . I did it many time without problems.

6. sjau

or just try to run the harddisk.. if it runs it's good... if there's uefi or so required, do as gral says... before turning off the old server make a backup of ispc

7. ariban99

ariban99 Member

what are the files that i need to copy and where is the database file to copy as well? i am on centos 7 using ispconfig 3.
    thanks

8. gral

gral Member

mmm..... for the db you will need use, mysqldump tool.... and for sure you are going to need copy the files into /usr/local/ispconfig dir , once you did it, also you will need adjust your mysql login details into the conf files.. is not a complicated task but you should know some ispconfig working internals.

9. ariban99

ariban99 Member

thanks. it worked fine. no issues!