Transferring Websites

Discussion in 'General' started by dayjahone, Jul 30, 2008.

1. dayjahone

dayjahone Member

I would like to transfer websites from an old server to a newer one. I can easily copy the files and simply upload them, but I am curious about the databases as the webIDs would not necessarily match. What is the best way to do this, and do they both need to have the same version of ISPConfig installed?

Thanks.

2. Hans

Hans Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Have a look here. Within that thread, you'll find useful information.

3. dayjahone

dayjahone Member

That is a very useful thread (though very long :) ). To give you a more complete picture, I am trying to transfer websites from server A to server B with the following info:

SERVER A:
    SuSe 9.2
    ISPConfig 2.2.9

SERVER B:
    Ubuntu 8
    ISPConfig 2.2.24

I am not sure which version of MySQL I am running. How do I check? How do I upgrade?

Because just about everything that can be different probably is and I have relatively few sites to transfer over, I was going to just recreate them on the new server. The problem with this is some of the websites use databases for blogs and such. Is there a simple way to copy the db from a website on the old server and add it to a website on the new server?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Moving between different distributions is a bad idea as the details in the isp_server table might not suit the new distribution, and paths might differ as well...

5. dayjahone

dayjahone Member

What I did was create the website, install wordpress, use phpMyAdmin to delete all of the tables in that database, import all of the tables from the website's database on the old server. It seems to have worked.