Transform a multi server configuration to single servers

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by tr909192, Nov 2, 2020.

1. tr909192

tr909192 Member HowtoForge Supporter

Dear,

actually we manage a cluster with 1 master and 20-30 slave server. What if we want transform that multiserver setup to a simplier 20-30 single servers?
    Basically we want give up to the master->slave and allow the slave servers to be managed by theirself. Is that possible?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Install 30 ISPConfig servers that are single server setup. Then copy the data from old setup to the server you want.
    Using ISPConfig Migration Toolkit should be possible, if I remember correctly it allows copying only one website to target. But I'm not sure it toolkit would make your task easier.

ahrasis and Th0m like this.
  3. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I agree that this would be the best way to go. Just wondering, why do you want this?

ahrasis likes this.
  4. tr909192

thank you for answers. the problem we want to resolve is to upgrade the whole sever (actually into a master/slave config) to a new os version and migrating inside the running hosting accounts. We would prefer to to that while remaining in master/slave, but it seems more difficult. any better suggestion?

5. Th0m

You can upgrade the OS of a slave and keep it as a slave. Just make sure that the installed ISPConfig versions are the same and ISPConfig is reconfigured with a forced update after upgrading the OS.

6. tr909192

thanks for reply. can you please explain more in detail? the upgrade of a server (example debian) needs to reinstall a new server with the current distro. the upgrade from command line is in most of case failing if the version is not the immediate new. in out case we have to upgrade for example from debian 7 to debian 10, so we have to reinstall the server. How can we do that in a master/server setup, while preserving installed accounts? for example creating a new one, migrating on that and then disconnect old and reconnect new? using isp migration tool?

7. Taleman

What?
    Debian has instructions on how to upgrade in place. Read the Release Notes.
    It is true that dist-upgrade only works to the next release, so Debian 7 can be dist-upgraded to 8, then that to 9 and then 9 to 10.
    If done properly the dist-upgraded does not remove accounts.
    I suggest you create a test setup, where you can see how dist-upgrade and ISPConfig upgrade works and how it is done.

ahrasis likes this.
  8. tr909192

dear Taleman, thanks for reply. frankly anytime i tested a dist upgrade by command line of a running ispconfig install, i got the distro either malfunctioning or broken. do you mean running such an upgrade? is there any notice of suggestione to take care of, that maybe i left aside?

9. Th0m

After doing the dist upgrade, follow the perfect server guide for the new version to install eventual new versions of software packages and install eventual new dependencies. Then reconfigure services with a forced ISPConfig update.

ahrasis likes this.
  10. Taleman

To dist-upgrade Debian read and follow the upgrade instructions in Release Notes. This way upgrades work reliably and the upgrade instructions warn or provide fixes for problems.
    Next read and follow the ISPConfig Perfect Server Guide for the updated to OS. This is needed so the necessary packages are installed and configured properly.
    Then on an ISPConfig host force reconfigure services.
    If the system fails after these steps ask for advice here on forum.

ahrasis and Th0m like this.
  11. tr909192

when you say perfect server, you mean the standard install guide from scratch? or something more specific?

12. Th0m

ahrasis likes this.
  13. tr909192

ah ok i know that guide. i wondered if you were referring to a specific upgrade guide.
    listen but if i want to do the following: 1) create a new server with lets say deb10. 2) migrate all account from old server (configure as slave of a master) with your migration tool? 3) disconnect old server and reconfigure new server as slave (maybe also replacing the ip if this can help). is this possible?

14. Th0m

ahrasis likes this.
  15. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

As said, check with migration support, but I don't think you can use that tool to move between servers within a single install.

16. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

i "transfered" some servers in the past from debian 8 to ubuntu18 with the copy_tool.
    setup the new server with the perfect setup, use the copy tool, update ispconfig with "reconfigure services" on the target and change the php-settings (fpm & fastcgi).

ahrasis and Jesse Norell like this.
  17. tr909192

18. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

the copy-tools copies the data used for ispconfig to new server. if you want to change the master, just stop the crons on the slave until you are finished or re-copy the ispconfig-database.

ahrasis likes this.
  19. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Also remember dns changes, assuming you aren't able to move the old addresses.

20. tr909192

ok. when you say "reconfigure" after distro upgrade, is it possible to do that without upgrading the ispconfig? since it's a master slave config we dont want to upgrade ispconfig until all distros are upgraded.