Translating/adding new language

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Stelios, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Stelios

Stelios Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    I've found a few posts but they are all quite old and I'm not sure about the paths are still the same.
    I want to add a new language/translation (Greek to be more specific) for the latest 3.2 version.
    There is a post which hasn't been updated since 2014 (https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/greek-translation-of-ispconfig-3.51550/) about the same language.
    My questions are:
    1. Can I use the same files that they are on the above post to save some time and move on with the latest translations or it has to be done from the beginning due to changes?
    2. Which files should I need to edit to translate the admin/user interface plus the default emails that going out.

Thanks

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Adding a whole new language is a lot of work. The best thing to do is to fork the GitLab project, commit your changes and open a MR so we can include it.

1: I would do it from the beginning as functions have changed/been added, so their translations have been changed aswell. (e.g. we added the DNAME record function and this is now included in some error messages when creating a duplicate A record).
    2: all files in interface/lib/lang, and in interface/web/*/lib/lang
    2b: the default emails are in server/conf/mail. Error files in server/conf/error and web files in server/conf/index

3. Stelios

Hi Thom,
    I have no clue about git as I've never used it. I'm using svn for several years.
    If I follow the git process you outlined would it make it possible to merge files for future releases of ISPconfig?
    Let's say that I finish the whole translations of 3.2 and in X years there are a bunch of new translations; would it be possible to merge my files with the new ones to continue translating the rest of them?

Thanks

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig has a builtin language editor and functions to create a new language file set. See System > Language Editor > New language. Or use the developer's way that @Th0m described.

5. Stelios

@till if I start creating the new language with the way you suggested over the GUI, would it stay there after upgrades?

6. Stelios

When I create a new lang with gr it takes the proper flag. However, the el which is also working for Greek has already in place many translations but as mentioned above it gets the wrong flag.
    I can't find a way to delete from the GUI the language with "el" in order to use the "gr".

7. Stelios

Further update....I delete the lang from the terminal and then create a new one based on el with the proper code which is the gr.
    This should be removed from the code (the el) as it is the wrong one.