Triple Boot OK?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by picker77, Aug 9, 2006.

1. picker77

picker77 New Member

Please excuse the ignorance, Linux newbie here trying out different distros and trying to decide which one to stick with for the long term.

Running 2.8 GHz P4 desktop w/two 80G hard drives. I have XP on hda1 (80G NTFS, 28G used). I also have SuSe 10.1 on hdb1/2/3 (2G Swap, 20G Root, 54G Home, all Ext3). Dual boot, as automatically installed by the installer in SuSe, works just fine. I'm pretty sure it installed the boot loader in the MBR of hda, but my knuckles were so white during the install I don't remember for sure.

Now, to further my education, I want to try out Ubuntu 6.06 on the Windows drive (by shrinking the NTFS partition to maybe 40G, and formatting the remainder as Ext3 for Ubuntu), but I don't want to give up SuSe on the second hard drive (yet), and I sure don't want to lose XP.

Question: Would this action scramble the brains of the existing dual boot loader setup, and is the three OS (XP/Ubuntu on one drive, SuSe 10.1 on the other) thing a bad idea for some reason?

I'm asking because I found lots of info on dual boot on forums and help pages, but nobody talks much about triple boot.

Thanks to all in advance!

Jerry

2. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Why don't you just try VMWare? It does not directly answer your questions, but you can run any OS quite easily without caring about bootloaders...

3. picker77

picker77 New Member

Ben, thanks for the reply - I'll look up VMWare and see what's what. Thanks.
    Jerry