trouble with Windows on EC2

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by sfun28, Mar 26, 2008.

1. sfun28

sfun28 New Member

Hello - I am following this article to get Windows up on Amazon EC2
    http://howtoforge.com/amazon_elastic_compute_cloud_qemu_p2

Following the instructions, I get up to the "6 Starting Windows at Amazon" stage. however, I can't complete this step. The article calls for me to "Log in to your instance" - I've tried to rlogin or ssh in and it doesn't work. All the appropriate ports are open on the amazon end.

So here's the question: what exactly did I upload to amazon? In step 4.1.3 "Bundling and Uploading our AMI to Amazon EC2" I bundled my windows image into an AMI - but does that AMI contain linux somehow? Is it a linux image with the windows image inside of it? I'm really confused about how to proceed.

2. cooljai

cooljai New Member

Sorry as I didnt read the HowTo but I'm quite familiar with EC2 environment and you may find the following tips helpful regarding it.

1. when you start a new instance, for security reasons logging with ssh with password is restricted. You need to use your key-pair for login like:

# ssh -i id-dsa-gsg-keypair <InstanceDNSname> or <publicIP>

2. Yes. The basic OS is *nix (depends on your base image when you created instance). The windows image is inside Linux image.