Two-in-one DNS server with BIND9

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by sotiris1821, Feb 28, 2006.

1. sotiris1821

sotiris1821 New Member

When you include the external zone file in the internal view, you can't have the same hostname pointing to different IP addresses..
    I would like to have mail.example.com point to 193.194.195.1 externally and mail.example.com point to 10.0.0.1 internally ...

Any solutions for this ? :eek:

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Why don't you let it point to 193.194.195.1 and then let your router forward all requests to 10.0.0.1?

3. sotiris1821

sotiris1821 New Member

Because I want to keep internal traffic internal (and accounted only once, as internal) and not travel out-and-in again between two routers (internet-dmz and internal-lan)..

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I see two solutions for your problem: you change the hosts file on your clients so that mail.example.com points to an internal IP address: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2024&postcount=3

Or you set up an internal DNS server that resolves mail.example.com to your internal IP address and forwards all other requests to the "real" nameservers, and then you let the client PCs use that nameserver as the primary.

5. sotiris1821

sotiris1821 New Member

I ended up using two independent files (I did not include the external zone file in the internal).. The gotcha is the opposite of what is stated in the howto..

Cheers...