Ubuntu 12.04 "waiting for network configuration" on boot

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by orasis, Jun 6, 2012.

1. orasis

orasis Member

Searched but didn’t find a topic related to this here. Got a small problem on ubuntu 12.04 3.2.0-24-generic-pae (desktop) running ispconfig 3.0.4.5.

Setting ispconfig to manage the network configuration causes ubuntu to show “waiting for network configuration” followed by “waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration..” messages on boot, and they take about 2 minutes to let the system continue to boot.

I’ve seen there is an ubuntu bug related to this:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ifupdown/+bug/916890

The only way for the system to boot normally is to un-check “Network Configuration” in Server Config.

I am not sure if there is something I can do with your help, once if I don’t use the ispconfig feature “Network Configuration”, then additional server IP Addresses don’t work on (at least) lan.
    There was nothing like this on ubuntu 10.04

Other than that, the system runs excellent.
    Thanks for your help.

EDIT:
    This is my /etc/network/interfaces
    Code:
    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
            address 192.168.0.200
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            network 192.168.0.0
            broadcast 192.168.0.255
            gateway 192.168.0.1

auto eth0:0
    iface eth0:0 inet static
            address 192.168.0.100
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            network 192.168.0.0
            broadcast 192.168.0.255
            gateway 192.168.0.1

eth0:0 is the one that causes the problem, although without it, 192.168.0.100 (the additional ip) will never work.

By the way, on page 3 of "The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Apache2, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3)" http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-12.04-lts-apache2-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-p3 you add this part:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
            address 192.168.0.100
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            network 192.168.0.0
            broadcast 192.168.0.255
            gateway 192.168.0.1
            dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
    My question is, why now my interfaces have the "dns-nameservers" missing ?
    cheers

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You dont have to use the ispconfig network configuration feature to use ispconfig. Noramally IP addresses are configured with the config tools of the operating system directly, thats why the ispconfig network config is disabled by default and leving it off is the recommended setting.

So in your case, disable the network configuration option in ispconfig again and add the IP addresses with the ubuntu network configuration utility instead.

Normally the nameservers are set in /etc/resolv.conf, they dont have to be set in the interfaces file.

3. orasis

orasis Member

Hi till, thanks for the fast reply as always.

It is excellent to use the default network tool of ubuntu for such a job.
    So the default contents of /etc/network/interfaces before installing ispconfig was:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    I think I just go back to that.
    I tried it, and only had to reboot computer for the network tool of ubuntu to be re-enabled. Also adding ip addresses there is very easy.

I only wonder what I would have to do if the server was remote ?

Concerning /etc/resolv.conf there was where I always used to edit the dns entries yes. It also takes the dns entries directly from the gui tool of ubuntu. My question was only related to your tutorial's part where you add "dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4" inside the /etc/network/interfaces

thanks for the help

4. till

Most likely the configuration in /etc/network/interfaces will work on a Ubuntu server as it works on Debian Linux and on systems based on the ubuntu server DVD. I guess the problem with the desktop is that the ubuntu desktop tool gets loaded when the desktop is started and seems to dynamically configure some network settings and ignores the classic network config file /etc/network/interfaces.

5. orasis

orasis Member

right... something that most likely wasn't happening on 10.04 I guess.
    I got no idea where the network tool saves the static IPs now. I am very new to 12.04.

By the way, do you think there might be a way to set an ip range instead of separate IPs ? maybe this is very stupid I ask.

6. till

There is no tool to setup ip ranges available yet as far as I know.

7. orasis

orasis Member

Thanks till for everything. The problem is solved and I currently don't need the server remotely, I was just asking for informative reasons.

It works excellent on 12.04, I also love the new look of phpmyadmin.

cheers, nice talking to you again.

8. Bookworm

Bookworm Member

Update. With the newer versions of ubuntu, they actually discourage the use of /etc/resolv.conf.

Instead, you need to use the 'interfaces' file (/etc/network/interfaces)

As part of the primary network interface, you would add (after gateway)

dns-nameserver <ip address of server>

---

The timeout problem is caused by a couple of things. 1) udev is a piece of crap when it comes to network interfaces. You can have your network adapters renamed from eth0 to eth1 without knowing it, even if you _don't_ move the drive to a new system. (If you were, perhaps, doing the right thing and building it on another box for testing before replacing a live system). or 2) edit /etc/init/failsafe.conf and comment out the extra 'wait' time.

9. orasis

orasis Member

yes I also read about that.

The thing is If you do that and then go make a change to the ubuntu network manager using the gui tool, I think it wipes out your additions in /etc/network/interfaces no ?

As I've seen around the internet, many have used this solution so far.

Well anyway, so far, after till's suggestions on this topic everything works without a problem except the fact that you got to add IPs manually using the gui (one by one) in case you need more server ips.

I've just recently noticed another silly message hidden in the lower right corner (using gnome). it says:

Network service discovery disabled.
    Your current network has a .local domain, which is not recommended and incompatible with the Avahi network service discovery. The service has been disabled.

I've been seeing a similar one even on ubuntu 10.04 but I always ignored it. Is there a way to set this off ?

10. Bookworm

Bookworm Member

http://magnus-k-karlsson.blogspot.com/2009/09/getting-rid-of-notification-network.html

It sounds like you have the full graphic install of Ubuntu (Gnome, I'm assuming, rather than Kubuntu).

You'll want to shut a lot of things off - in fact, if you're using this machine remotely, for the most part, you might want to just remove gnome completely, and use one of the lightweight X managers (if any at all).

As for the network settings - I don't use the network-manager tool. I remove it completely from servers, then do everything by hand - since I have no need/intention of changing the IP addresses once installed. (meaning I modify the interfaces file)

11. orasis

orasis Member

thanks for your reply and help Bookworm, I had to do it differently on ubuntu 12.04:

Code:
    sudo -i
    gedit /etc/default/avahi-daemon
    I had to change AVAHI_DAEMON_DETECT_LOCAL=1 to =0 and reboot.
    No error anymore, and Gnome loads as fast as it should.

Yes I have installed ubuntu 12.04 desktop i386 on my laptop which I mainly use as a web server running ispconfig3 for my webdesign needs, it is also excellent to have a mobile server with all my work in. I installed the latest gnome on it (not kde/kubuntu desktop) and runs great. I might uninstall unity which I consider useless totally, but I am a gnome kid :)

So I am not using this computer remotely no.

12. Sara Hassan

Sara Hassan New Member

Hi All.
    I've the same problem . when I installed ISPConfig3 on ubuntu 12.04LTS and set a static IP address in /etc/network/interfaces. the server stuck in"waiting for network configuration" on boot . how can I solve this ?

Sample of my configurstion file:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 41.67.16.52
    gateway 41.67.16.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    dns-nameservers 41.67.16.2 41.67.48.2

Thanks!