Ubuntu 12.10 Perfect Server install failed at the end

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Mariane, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Mariane

Mariane New Member

I followed the tutorial:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-12.10-nginx-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-p4
    starting about half-way, because though I had a clean install of Ubuntu 12.10 it was an image provided by my isp, I have no physical access to this machine. I am root on my virtual server, though.

I started following the tutorial with step 5 on page 3 (apt-get install ssh openssh-server), though I was not sure about that, because I was already talking to this machine via ssh.

Code:
    insserv php-5.3.18-fpm

did not function, but I found an alternative here and I used
    Code:
    update-rc.d php-5.3.18-fpm defaults

instead.

I got an error saying port 8889 was in use, so in php-fpm.conf I changed:
    listen = 127.0.0.1:8999
    to
    listen = 127.0.0.1:8009

After "making" PHP 5.3.18, I saw a message saying "do not forget to run make test", so I did that. There were over 10,000 tests and at least one of them failed, though most were either successful or skipped. I did not have time to write down what the failure was, maybe the output is saved in a log file somewhere?

The "make" itself finished without errors. I just saw a warning saying "I found an int when I was expecting a size_t". Maybe there were others, it took several minutes and I didn't stare at it all the time.

Finally,
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/php-5.3.18-fpm start 

said:
    Code:
    Starting php-fpm [01-Sep-2013 19:48:01] WARNING: Nothing matches the include pattern '/opt/php-5.3.18/etc/pool.d/*.conf' from /opt/php-5.3.18/etc/php-fpm.conf at line 512.
    ................................... failed

I tried this because, when I was trying to view my web site, I kept switching between apache's "It works! But no content has been added yet" and "You do not have permission to view this page" messages. The web site files are in place (on a separate disk). This disk is mounted and I can see the files via ssh. But I had spent all morning editing apache's configurations files and it was driving me crazy. So I thought it was time to try something else.

Now my web page says "Welcome to nginx!", which is harder to pronounce and not that much of an improvement, IMHO :).

http://92.243.20.169:8009 says "failed to connect".

Please tell me what to do, and please give me details. For example, please do not tell me "install xxx" but tell me "type apt-get install xxx-3.2.1". I'm happy enough using packages but I'm out of my depth as soon as I have to type the dreaded "make" command.

Mariane

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. Mariane

Mariane New Member

I've just discovered that nginx has a stop command:
    Code:
    nginx -s stop

which is not matched by a
    Code:
    nginx -s start

command
    (nor even by "nginx start")!!!

This is so user-unfriendly that I'm giving up on it right now.

At least apache is coherent in this matter... Even if I have always considered that init.d is not the most easy-to-remember directory name I've ever came across...

I considered deleting my previous post here, then I thought it might be useful to somebody else. And that giving a little feedback could do no harm.

Thank you everybody working on this "perfect server", I might start using it when the installation will be just a matter of typing a single apt-get, with all dependencies automatically taken into account. As it is, it is just too difficult for a stupid old woman like me.

Please do not feel discouraged by this feedback. Consider that if someone like me got as far as she did before giving up, you are definitely on your way to becoming mainstream.