Ubuntu 22.04 ISPConfig logfiles missing

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by kommid, May 23, 2023.

1. kommid

kommid Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    I've installed ISPConfig on a ubuntu 22.04 server according to the howto at https://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-autoinstall-debian-ubuntu/
    Now I have noticed, that there is no /var/log/messages, /var/log/mail.info, /var/log/mail.err, etc... I can't even find a syslog.
    I had a debian server with ispconfig before and I'm not familiar with ubuntu, could anyone please point me into the right direction on where to find my logfiles? Since I only use the server as a mailserver proper logging the mailserver part would suffice....

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Some Ubuntu base installations have the rsyslog daemon not installed, they log just to systemd. Run:

apt-get install rsyslog

to get the traditional log files back.

3. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Out of curiosity why did you change to ubuntu, when you're more familiar with debian?

4. kommid

Since this server is my private mailserver I looked at the distribution that will be supported for the longest time period. I had an ispconfig mailserver before on debian stretch which went eol last year and since I don't want to set up a new mailserver ervery 3-4 years I decided to ty ubuntu 22.04 with an eol somewhere in the 2030s compared to debian which seemed to be rather short-lived... Not sure, if it was the right decision though....

5. kommid

Thank you so much! I'll try it this tonight.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You don't have to set up a new server when Debian gets EOL, you just do a dist upgrade to the next major version. On some of my systems, I've done dist upgrades for 5 major versions.

7. kommid

OK, I didn't know this. I thought, doing a dist-upgrade wouldn't be ideal - at least I thought, I read about this sometime back in the ISPConfig-2-times...

8. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

First of all, what till said and second of all, you get almost the same time on the releases between debian and ubuntu. Ubuntu does however support their versions up to 10ish years but after 4 years you have to pay for the longer support see https://ubuntu.com/security/esm

IIRC they offered up to 5(?) systems for free for some time but i dont know if its still the case

9. kommid

Thank you for this information - so it's going back to debian next time - it just feels better....