Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy) not supported

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by domino, Oct 9, 2005.

1. domino

domino New Member

I have been running Breezy for since it was released and find it quite stable. In fact alot faster than it's older siblings. I guess my question is, when will it be supported and how can we circumnavigate the support test?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Breezy will be supported when someone will make the modifications to the installer definition files and send them to one of the Dev's or Falko or I rewrite the Ubuntu installation howto for Breezy and therefore extend the installer.

If you want to install it on Breezy now you will have to change the release file (/etc/debian-release :confused: ) to the contents of the release file from Hoary.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I think if /etc/debian-release contains the string 3.1 then you're good to go. ISPConfig will then think that it's a Debian Sarge system, and since Debain Sarge and Ubuntu are very similar (if not identical in terms of paths, names of init scripts, etc.), you shouldn't have problems installing ISPConfig. :)

4. domino

domino New Member

Thanks all for the information. Will setup again when I get over the traumatic experience with Debian Distros :(. They say it's easy to run Debian if you know RH. Not true in my case. I think there is still a learing crurb.

5. falko

Must be marketing guys... ;)
    You know I had been working with RedHat, Mandrake and SuSE before I came to Debian, and I spent endless nights on finding out how things work in Debian. But now I love it, and I always use Debian on servers. It gives you much more the feeling that you're in control of your system. :)

6. themachine

themachine ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

DEBIAN.... yes!

I couldn't help but put in my 2 cents on this one.

I remember when I first came to debian... I just about gave up on it the first time... I don't even remember why. I suppose it was different from what I was used to... and I'm still learning. I also was using RedHat and SuSE before moving to Debian... but I tell you now I wouldn't run anything else but Debian on my server's.

Debian just makes sense, now that I know it. I have both RHCE and LPIC certifications... and work mostly with RedHat (is the main supported linux distro the company offers)... but as falko said... it gives you the feeling of really being in control of the system. I installed Woody back in October of last year... then upgraded to Sarge... and even run multiple virtual Sarge servers on top of it (linux-vserver) and everything runs amazing... never an issue.

Not-to-mention the ISPConfig installer was flawless on my Debian Sarge 3.1 box.

7. domino

domino New Member

I like that "control" feeling. But I can't seem to grasp it in Debi. Maybe I'm just reluctant to move to a different distro beciase I do not want to forget what I learned and the time it took me to learn the last one. I have countless notes on RH and all my hosting servers run on either RH9 or Fedora.

Back to the topic, this post is getting alot of hits and no one has replied on whether the suggestions worked or not. I hope to get any feedback on the hack.

8. falko