Ubuntu 8.04 LTS - RAID 1 + LVM + XEN

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by atjensen11, Jan 20, 2009.

1. atjensen11

atjensen11 New Member

Hello,

I have the ultimate goal of running XEN on an Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Dom0. However, I want to use LVM as the partition scheme for easier management of the DomU disks. I do not plan to use disk image files, but rather allow the DomU machine to write directly to LVM by setting LVM=1 in the Xen config file.

I planned on implementing the following How-To articles in the following order:

Perfect Server - Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server
    Steps 1-10 only
    Rather than use the standard guided partitioning scheme, I used the guided option with LVM and let the installer configure the LVM parameters automatically.

Software RAID 1 on a Running LVM System (Debian Etch)

Installing Xen on Ubuntu 8.04 from the Repositories

I have configured this machine before using the first and third tutorials. The result was fine, however I configured RAID1 during the initial installation. I have never used LVM before. So during the second How-To listed above, I noticed a lot of commands reference the initramfs and grub, both of which I know will be affected by the installation of Xen.

Can I proceed in the sequence I originally started on (1, 2, & 3 as listed above) or should I install Xen before doing the RAID1 configuration (1, 3, & 2)?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I don't see any problems with that order. :)