Ubuntu 8 LTS Server ISPCONFIG

Discussion in 'General' started by t.roijers, Apr 24, 2008.

1. t.roijers

t.roijers Member

Today i upgraded Ubuntu Server 6 LTS to Ubuntu Server 8 LTS. The network upgrade worked perfect! Afterward i reinstalled ISPConfig because it's wasn't functioning properly. When reinstalling ISPConfig it stopped after a while with the announcement ISPConfig will not work with the installed version.

To bad, have to wait for an ISPConfig release that works with the new Ubuntu LTS 8 server.

Just wanted to warn the rest before you have to restore from backup :)

Greetinx,
    Tim

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which ISPConfig version did you use? As far as I know, Falko installed the current ISPConfig stable version on Ubuntu 8.04 (see rhe tutorial on the howtoforge frontpage).

3. make-fun

make-fun Member

Could this have to do with the change of the default shell, maybe…?

This stopped me from jumping right into it in the first place — plus I do not like the idea of upgrading a running server the day after any new release. So, this will all better be testet on a VM-Install beforehand.

Cheers

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

5. make-fun

make-fun Member

The more convenient way for an existing sys is of course using the new "update-manager-core" package. Have you maybe tested this Falko?

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No, not for 8.04.
    I think that AppArmor could cause problems. It's enabled by default, and in my tutorial, I disable it.

7. make-fun

make-fun Member

Yeeep, AppArmor and the "sh is now dash" are the two things, why I'd warn anyone running ISPConfig to do an upgrade to 8.04 at this stage. At least not on any production server that is. Would you agree, Falko?
    (I just read your HowTo, and I saw the changes regarding the Shell and the deactivation of AppArmor)

8. till

No, I wont agree on that. Just follow the installation instructions for Ubuntu 8.04. Apparmor has to be disabled anyway or someone has to build AppArmor rules for Ubuntu and the sh / dash problem exists since a few Ubuntu versions and I doubt that Ubuntu will fix this. The dash problem is not directly a ISPConfig problem as with dash instead of sh or bash it is not possible to compile the apache webserver, so either Ubuntu or the apache foundation will have to fix this as we will not offer our own set of apache sources.

9. wr19026

wr19026 New Member

ProFTP is causing issues for me as well during the upgrade from 6.06 to 8.04

Disclaimer: I have done the Perfect Server set-up on a test system without actually installing ISPConfig

So one of my servers might actually work with a few tweaks, the other on unfurtunately is a 6.10 server which I have to take to 7.04 and 7.10 before upgrading to 8.04, which sounds way to risky to me.

10. till

After the upgrade, you should go to every step of the 8.04 perfect setup and compare the config files as apt might has replaced some files or configuration directives have changed their name.

11. t.roijers

t.roijers Member

I used to have Ubuntu Server 6.06 Dapper LTS and Upgraded Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS server edition.

The upgrade of Ubuntu works just fine, but ISPConfig come with a lot of errors when rebooting.

Tim

12. t.roijers

t.roijers Member

----

Falko,

At wich page of the perfect setup should i start after i do an upgrade from Ubuntu server 6 Dapper LTS to Ubuntu server 8.04 LTS. I don't want to do a clean install everytime there's a new Ubuntu version comming out.

Tim

13. till

You should start with step 8