Ubuntu 9.10 Clamav update

Discussion in 'General' started by primal23, Apr 23, 2010.

1. primal23

primal23 New Member

Didn't want to hijack that other thread, so I was wondering if there was a way to update clamav to .96? Repos don't have it....

2. CSsab

CSsab New Member

This is what I did.

What I did was change my sources.list to from karmic to lucid (after making a backup copy of my karmic sources!!) then I ran
    aptitude upgrade clamav

it upgraded to the .96 version and then I changed my sources back to karmic.

It worked for me but I am sure this method wouldn't be recommended :D

3. primal23

primal23 New Member

Not working for me, it wants to update everything, was it just a specific source to edit?

4. primal23

primal23 New Member

When I tried running that it told me that I had to so a safe-upgrade, or if trying in the gui a partial upgrade, which even if canceled I couldn't select clamav. So I am doing something wrong lol

5. CSsab

CSsab New Member

I wouldn't try to upgrade from karmic to lucid for the following reasons:

1. There is a bit of a learning curve involved with getting used to the new program "upstart" which is being phased in to replace "init".

2. The "plymouth" splash caused me a great deal of annoyance when I tried this type of upgrade. (I reinstalled from scratch with a lucid daily build, however, and "plymouth" is now behaving very nicely)

Back to clamav - download the lucid package to an empty /tmp directory and try running a simple
    dpkg -i *.deb

If your sources are temporarily in lucid mode, depends should be satisfied during the install for this package only.
    Hope this helps.