Ubuntu Postfix Quota Email Fixed

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by thecaoticone, Jan 21, 2008.

1. thecaoticone

thecaoticone New Member

Okay, there seems to be a few post about receiving empty quota e-mails using the postfix-quota patch. I finally have Ubuntu working. It seems that when you follow the guide, Postfix is installed twice. Once with apt-get, the other using the patched source.

The apt-get supercedes the source.

Do not install postfix or postfix-mysql using apt-get

Follow the "Apply The Quota Patch To Postfix" first.

You will need to do:
    apt-get install ssl-cert openssl

before:
    dpkg -i postfix_x.x.x-x_i386.deb
    dpkg -i postfix-mysql_x.x.x-1_i386.deb

When you build postfix with the patch and do:

postfix and postfix-mysql will be installed to work with the qouta patch properly

Then:

For Ubuntu Edgy Eft:

Change the command:

apt-get install postfix postfix-mysql postfix-doc mysql-client mysql-server courier-authdaemon courier-authlib-mysql courier-pop courier-pop-ssl courier-imap courier-imap-ssl postfix-tls libsasl2 libsasl2-modules libsasl2-modules-sql sasl2-bin libpam-mysql openssl phpmyadmin apache2 libapache2-mod-php5 php5 php5-mysql

to:

apt-get install mysql-client mysql-server courier-authdaemon courier-authlib-mysql courier-pop courier-pop-ssl courier-imap courier-imap-ssl postfix-tls libsasl2 libsasl2-modules libsasl2-modules-sql sasl2-bin libpam-mysql openssl phpmyadmin apache2 libapache2-mod-php5 php5 php5-mysql

Then continue with the guide.

Update for Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon:

It appears when I had Gutsy working it was a one shot deal because now it will not work again!

Edgy still works after several trials.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  2. thecaoticone

thecaoticone New Member

Upadte on Ubuntu postfix quota empty e-mail

First the good news..... Feisty also works with the quota e-mail. Just follow the Debian Etch "Apply The Quota Patch To Postfix" since they use the same Postfix version. Then switch to the Gutsy guide.

You will still need to do:
    apt-get install ssl-cert openssl

before:

The bad news is Gutsy is still refusing to work.

I did find out that in Edgy & Feisty there is a maildirsize in each users mail directory that has the quota size and the size of the e-mail. In Gutsy this file does not exist. Gutsy only has the courierpop3dsizelist that just has the size of the e-mails.

I am not sure if this is the problem or not.

From one the courier techs:

Jul 5 2007, 01:49 PM

The conversion to Maildir format included a new imap and pop3 daemon. "courierpop3dsizelist" is simply a cache file for the new pop3 daemon.

Maildir uses three directories, tmp, new, and cur. These are used for temporary messages (messages in the process of being delivered to your account), new messages, and currently read messages respectively, instead of the old style single file in mbox format used previously, which is why you'll see different directories and files now.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  3. thecaoticone

thecaoticone New Member