ubuntu server and mac desktops

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by knowram, Mar 31, 2007.

1. knowram

knowram New Member

I am a mac user that was given a pc so I put ubuntu server on it. and now I would like to set it up as a file server. I have been searching around for a good howto to get me started but i can't find anything. can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for the help

2. knowram

knowram New Member

I have been able to get NFS working. however i only have read permissions from my mac here is a copy of my /etc/exports

Code:
    /home/NFS       192.168.0.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,insecure,async)

My mac's ip address is 192.168.0.100

any ideas?

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

4. knowram

knowram New Member

I had not looked at that tutorial but after looking at it the only info I found was about spacing and that did not seem to change anything for me.

Any other ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Can you try
    Code:
    /home/NFS       192.168.0.0/24(rw)
    in /etc/exports?

What's the output of
    Code:
    ls -la /home/NFS
    ?

6. knowram

knowram New Member

here is the output of the ls

Code:
    total 16
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2007-04-02 16:11 .
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2007-04-02 16:11 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-04-02 16:11 Movies
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-04-02 16:11 TV
    and if now that i have removed the insecure part in /etc/exports i can't mont the drive from my apple finder and i don't know how to specify a user from the cli.

7. knowram

knowram New Member

an update,

it seems that the only way I can get write permissions is if i give the "others" group write permissions. But that means that everyone using can write to that folder. just to test it I when back to the exports file and changed the permissions in there to read only, unmounted the share, restarted the nfs server and remounted it and I still had write privileges. So the privileges in the exports file are not being used. Anyone have any idea why?

Thanks for the help

8. knowram

knowram New Member

and more.

Just found the answer I think you have to set the permissions on the folder that you are sharing to rwxrwxrwx and then use the permissions in the export file to control access i was wrong in my last post i just look at the get info and is said i still have write permissions but when i tried to put something there it wouldn't let me. but now i have my exports set up like this

Code:
    /home/NFS       192.168.0.100/32(rw,no_root_squash,insecure,async)
    /home/NFS       192.168.0.100/24(ro,no_root_squash,insecure,async)
    Where 192.168.0.100 is my computer where i am uploading files from.

Thanks again everyone for you help