Ubuntu Server auto start program?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by strix, May 2, 2008.

1. strix

strix New Member

I have shoutcast server on my Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS Server (without X env.)
    I want to configure sc_serv to start every time when system boot. What is the best way to do that?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Does the service have a startup script in the /etc/init.d directory? If so, what's it'S filename?

3. strix

strix New Member

Solved

Shoutcast (http://www.shoutcast.com/) is free internet radio broadcaster. It consist of these files
    Code:
     README.TXT
     sc_serv
     sc_serv.conf
     sc_serv.log
     sc_w3c.log
    So I found Howto for writing simple startup scripts - http://ubuntujourney.wordpress.com/2008/04/18/starting-a-program-at-boot/
    and wrote one for simple start and stop shoutcast (sc_serv) and put it in /etc/init.d, after that
    Code:
    update-rc.d shoutcast defaults
    and the job was done. BUT the shoutcast is not designed to be run as a service, at boot time it wait for broadcaster application and by this way prevents the system to boot normally.
    So I removed it. I'll start shotcast by hand at every reboot.

4. Destreyf

Destreyf New Member

I realize this post is well over a year old actually 2 years now, but just for people who need help, as this was the very first post i found while looking for auto starting a job/process. Please use with caution, my tests were done with Asterisk, a Voip gateway software, not shoutcast, a Music streaming software.

Create a file such as this in your etc/init.d/
    name it "shoutcast" without the quotes
    Code:
    /your/absolute/path/to/sc_serv &

then issue the following commands in your /etc/init.d/
    Code:
    chmod +x shoutcast
    update-rc.d shoutcast defaults

This will fork your process off as a sub of root, you can also, put nuhup in front of it, to allow it to create an orphaned process independent of any system resource/user.

This should be the basis for any program you compile by source or install from an other methods not done through the package manager.