Ubuntu

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by NightFall2358, Sep 16, 2019.

1. NightFall2358

NightFall2358 New Member

I don't know much about Linux, but I have to ask, how exactly do you use Ubuntu, I'm learning some, I know its a lot of terminal based stuff, but I know next to nothing about Linux or the Ubuntu configuration. could you tell me all I need to know?.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

That is not true. You can install graphical user interface on Ubuntu.
    Use documentation from here: https://ubuntu.com/#community
    Internet Search Engines find lots of documentation on using Ubuntu.

3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

It is just like windows OS which can be a desktop, a server or both.

4. Ron45

Ron45 New Member

I am new to Linux and I am using Ubuntu 18.04 distribution as my new operating system (after using Windows OS from ever), I really want to learn in deeper about Linux and will like to get some advise about how get the best out of Ubuntu in my learning path.

5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

First you have to decide how you want to use it, as desktop or server or both. You can find perfect tutorials regarding each in howtoforge but I am not sure whether for desktop there is tutorial ubuntu 18.04 (I haven't checked). If you have any question try to search for an answer before asking for it or for second opinion.

6. Rahul Shivalkar

Rahul Shivalkar New Member HowtoForge Supporter

There are two versions for Linux/Ubuntu systems.
    1. Desktop same as Windows having GUI.
    2. Server Version:
    For server version you get access to only the terminal. All operations need to be performed using the commands.
    To start with terminal, try learning basic commands like cd, ls, mkdir, rm, etc. These Linux commands have options too that need to be passed based on the action that need to be taken.
    I would suggest to learn the basic commands first. Once you get familiar with basic commands then you can proceed with administration.