Unable to Communicate with IP Forwarded VPS from Main Server in ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jamesupereal, Jul 17, 2024.

1. jamesupereal

jamesupereal New Member

I am experiencing an issue with my NAT forwarded VPS. The VPS itself does not display an IP address, and currently, the main server is unable to communicate with it. Here are some details of my setup:
    1. The main server and the VPS are both configured in ISPConfig.
    2. The VPS is set up with IP forwarding so it does not have a directly assigned IP address in this server, But I can connect with the forward IP address.
    3. I have checked the firewall and port forwarding rules, and they seem to be configured correctly.
    Could you please assist me in troubleshooting this issue? Specifically, I need guidance on ensuring proper communication between the main server and the NAT forwarded VPS within ISPConfig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The settings you posted are for the web server only, they are not to configure your network card. You missed configuring the IP address first in the network configuration of the VPS before adding it for the web server in ISPConfig.

3. jamesupereal

jamesupereal New Member

To clarify, my VPS has a public IP address, but it is not directly assigned to the server itself. Instead, it is accessed via NAT forwarding. So I can't add it to VPS's network configuration.Here are the specifics of my setup:
    1. The VPS has a public IP address, but this IP is not set directly on the VPS.
    2. External access to the VPS is managed through port forwarding from the public IP to the server.
    3. The main server needs to communicate with this VPS, which is accessed through the NAT forwarding.
    Could you please provide guidance on how to configure the network settings and ensure proper communication between the main server and the VPS within ISPConfig, considering this setup? Thanks.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This topic is not ISPConfig related, all you have to do is to configure the IP address in the network config of the VPS that you run ISPConfig on. There are plenty of guides on how to configure an IP address on a specific OS on the internet, just Gooogle for the os name plus network configuration, or a similar query. As I mentioned above, the settings you changed in ISPConfig are for the web server only, they are not your network config. The IP does not need to be added or configured in ISPConfig at all, so setting it in ISPConfig is optional and typically not done anymore today as one uses namebased vhosts, which means there is no config needed for the web server IP in ISPConfig.

jamesupereal likes this.
  5. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You don't need to configure anything on the VPS itself in that case. You connect to the VPS through the public ipv4 address that is shown in the Customerpanel of the provider for this VPS. You should stick to their documentation for such setups, they are usually quiet detailed.

jamesupereal likes this.
  6. jamesupereal

jamesupereal New Member

Actually my VPS's network is work fine now. It doesn't matter. The question is ISPConfig read the NAT IP and add it to master server.
    So I add the public IP to /etc/network/interfaces to let ISPConfit read it when install, even it won't effect. Now it works. Thanks all you guys.

ahrasis, till and pyte like this.