Unable to login to mailaccount

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by 0p3r4, Feb 19, 2006.

1. 0p3r4

0p3r4 New Member

Hello everyone,

I've set up a debian-based computer using the "perfect setup" guide at http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/perfect_setup_debian_sarge/ and installed the ISPconfig-application. Most things seems to be working just fine, i can create users, login via the web-ftp etc. The only problem i have is that im unable to login to my mailserver via Uebimiau. All i get is:

" You cannot login with the username and password entered.
    Please check your username and password and try again."

I've tried using the full emailadress as well as only the first part of the adress. I have also tried logging in using the username and nothing works... Im pretty new to all this control-panel stuff, so i would be glad if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

For webmail you must use an email address as username.
    Does it work with an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird (there you must use the username (e.g. web1_someuser) instead of the email address!)?

Please post the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap

3. 0p3r4

0p3r4 New Member

When i tried downloading the messages trough thunderbird i got a "Unknown AUTHORIZATION state command" reply after i had supplied it with a password.

This is my netstat -tap (queried shortly after trying to download messages with thunderbird):

Code:
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
    tcp        0      0 *:imaps                 *:*                     LISTEN     2680/inetd
    tcp        0      0 *:pop3s                 *:*                     LISTEN     2680/inetd
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdo:mysql *:*                     LISTEN     3389/mysqld
    tcp        0      0 *:pop3                  *:*                     LISTEN     2680/inetd
    tcp        0      0 *:imap2                 *:*                     LISTEN     2680/inetd
    tcp        0      0 *:81                    *:*                     LISTEN     7455/ispconfig_http
    tcp        0      0 *:ftp                   *:*                     LISTEN     12828/proftpd: (acc
    tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN     15806/master
    tcp        0      0 c-3b9be055.68-3-64:pop3 c-8c9ae055.68-3-64:2533 ESTABLISHED18413/ipop3d
    tcp6       0      0 *:www                   *:*                     LISTEN     7485/apache2
    tcp6       0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN     2901/sshd
    tcp6       0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN     15806/master
    tcp6       0      0 *:https                 *:*                     LISTEN     7485/apache2
    tcp6       0      0 c-3b9be055.68-3-647:ssh c-8c9ae055.68-3-64:2535 ESTABLISHED18432/0

Thanks alot for trying to help me, i really appreciate it

4. falko

5. 0p3r4

0p3r4 New Member

That worked just perfectly :D... thanks alot... what is a bit confusing is that you can read this message jsut below the installation instructions:

Also, i have another question:

If i where to download e-mails from the server into thunderbird, will they be removed from the server?

Again, thanks alot for the help you provided :)

Edit: And one more thing: When i installed ISPConfig i was asked for an IP-adress, i gave it the current IP of the server. The thing is that i have a dynamic ip, not the best way to go but it dont have a choice. If I where to change IP, in what file is this information stored? Since i guess it cant handle DHCP?

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, if you use pop3. But you can enable in firebird that email messages shall be left on the server.

The IP is stored in /etc/network/interfaces and in ISPConfig under management > server > settings.

But dou you have your server directly connected to a DSL line or do you have a router in front of your server?

7. 0p3r4

0p3r4 New Member

I dont have any IP specified in /etc/network/interfaces/, its all trough dhcp... the thing is that i see that some ip's are set trough the webinterface (as well as during the install), and i would like to know where these numbers are stored. As for my connection, im connected directly to a DSL-line without a routable (i hope that is a correct translation) ip... so there is no way for me to make my ip static except for getting a router.

8. falko

You can check /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/config.inc.php if the IP address is stored in there.

9. 0p3r4

0p3r4 New Member

I tried searching the document without luck... thats strange :)... i mean it should be stored somewhere :)

10. falko

It depends on what you specified during ISPConfig installation. If you specified a hostname and a domain, then you won't find the IP address in /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/config.inc.php. But if you left the hostname blank and entered your IP address as domain, then your IP address will be in /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/config.inc.php.

You must also change the IP address in ISPConfig itself: Management -> Server -> Settings.
    But you won't have much fun with a changing IP address. Try to get a static one.

11. 0p3r4

0p3r4 New Member

Is there some specific router distribution out there (like m0n0wall, ipcop or whatever) that is easy to set up with port-forwarding and all that is required if i where to give the server a 192.168.0.x-ip?

12. falko

Yes, IPCop. :)

13. 0p3r4

0p3r4 New Member

Okey :).. thanks for helping me through all this... looks as if i'm going to go look for some more hardware :p

14. falko

Instead of setting up an IPCop server, you could as well buy a hardware router, e.g. a Linksys router. Most modern routers are capable of doing port forwarding.