Unable to relay from external clients

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by madmerlin, Feb 18, 2010.

1. madmerlin

madmerlin New Member

Hi, I'm using the guide: The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 9.04 [ISPConfig 3]
    Everything works perfectly, except for email clients externally. Receiving email through IMAPS is great... but replying or creating new email does not work unless sending from the internal network where the server resides.

I can see the client connect to the server but then fails:
    Feb 18 10:07:15 myserver postfix/smtpd[16120]: initializing the server-side TLS engine
    Feb 18 10:07:15 myserver postfix/smtpd[16120]: connect from my.externallocation.com[x.x.x.x]
    Feb 18 10:07:24 myserver postfix/smtpd[16120]: lost connection after UNKNOWN from [x.x.x.x]
    Feb 18 10:07:24 myserver postfix/smtpd[16120]: disconnect fromconnect from my.externallocation.com[x.x.x.x]

The client being used is Thunderbird 3, with the following smtp settings:
    port:465; use name and password enabled; use secure authentication enabled; Connection Security: SSL/TLS

If I use an smtp setting of no authentication and port 25, I of course get the "relay denied" error, which is what I should get.

I know this has been discussed numerous times, and I did do my best to read through any posts I found, but none of the solutions seemed to help me. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010