Unable to send password reset emails

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Doctor Schnell, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Doctor Schnell

Doctor Schnell New Member

Hello everyone,

I've been having an issue with Ispconfig where it will not send any password reset emails to users. Upon inspection of the mail log, only the following shows up around the same time as the password reset being requested.

Code:
    Apr  5 18:06:09 ispconfig postfix/submission/smtpd[28350]: connect from [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
    Apr  5 18:06:09 ispconfig postfix/submission/smtpd[28350]: warning: non-SMTP command from [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: Subject: =?UTF-8?B?Q29uZmlybSBJU1BDb25maWcgMyBDb250cm9sIHBhbmVsIHBhc3N3b3JkIHJlc2V0?=
    Apr  5 18:06:09 ispconfig postfix/submission/smtpd[28350]: disconnect from [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] helo=1 starttls=1 auth=0/1 mail=0/1 rcpt=0/1 data=0/1 unknown=0/3 commands=2/9

Same result in the syslog:
    Code:
    Apr  5 18:06:01 ispconfig CRON[28289]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/ispconfig/server/cron.sh 2>&1 | while read line; do echo `/bin/date` "$line" >> /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log; done)
    Apr  5 18:06:01 ispconfig CRON[28293]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh 2>&1 | while read line; do echo `/bin/date` "$line" >> /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log; done)
    Apr  5 18:06:09 ispconfig postfix/submission/smtpd[28350]: connect from iscponfig.domain.tld[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
    Apr  5 18:06:09 ispconfig postfix/submission/smtpd[28350]: warning: non-SMTP command from iscponfig.domain.tld[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: Subject: =?UTF-8?B?Q29uZmlybSBJU1BDb25maWcgMyBDb250cm9sIHBhbmVsIHBhc3N3b3JkIHJlc2V0?=
    Apr  5 18:06:09 ispconfig postfix/submission/smtpd[28350]: disconnect fromiscponfig.domain.tld[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]helo=1 starttls=1 auth=0/1 mail=0/1 rcpt=0/1 data=0/1 unknown=0/3 commands=2/9

I use postfix for the SMTP server and Dovecot for the IMAP + POP3 server. Ispconfig is located on the same VM as the mail server (they were set up together). I'm able to send and receive emails to/from Google and other sites without issue. This issue only seems to arise when I try to reset a users password, where I only see an attempt from Ispconfig to connect to my mail server.

I've attached the output of the "common issues" script provided in the "read me" thread in this forum. Please let me know what other information would be helpful in diagnosing this issue.

Thanks!
    Doctor Schnell

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please check that you have a valid from address and admin name set under system > interface > main config.

3. Doctor Schnell

I'm not able to find where the "from address" is located. Would this be SMTP user? Or administrators email? Both appear to be set correctly with admin@domain/tld and myname@domain/tld respectively. The slashes should be periods, but the forum doesn't like example links.

Thanks!

4. till

The sender is the admin address, so this should be ok then.

5. Doctor Schnell

Unfortunately looks like the same issue as before:
    Code:

Apr  6 16:44:34 ispconfig postfix/submission/smtpd[31356]: connect from iscponfig.domain.tld[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
    Apr  6 16:44:34 ispconfig postfix/submission/smtpd[31356]: warning: non-SMTP command from iscponfig.domain.tld[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: Subject: =?UTF-8?B?Q29uZmlybSBJU1BDb25maWcgMyBDb250cm9sIHBhbmVsIHBhc3N3b3JkIHJlc2V0?=
    Apr  6 16:44:34 ispconfig postfix/submission/smtpd[31356]: disconnect from iscponfig.domain.tld[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] helo=1 starttls=1 auth=0/1 mail=0/1 rcpt=0/1 data=0/1 unknown=0/3 commands=2/9

Is there something wrong with the subject line that it's sending out? Apparently it decodes to "Confirm ISPConfig 3 Control panel password reset", which doesn't seem invalid in any way.

6. till

There must be something wrong with the email headers indeed. I'll add a bug report in the issue tracker to test that function for the next release.

7. till

8. Doctor Schnell

Thanks Till. I'll keep an eye out for updates on that tracked issue.