Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by xtasyarmada, Mar 15, 2009.

1. xtasyarmada

xtasyarmada New Member

Please help me with this issue.

Specs---

DELL XPS M1710
    Fedora Core 8
    2.8GHZ Intel Dual Core
    2 GB RAM
    nVidia GeForce 7850 GTX
    (If you need more ask please)

Issue---
    After the computer boots it takes an unusual amount of time to show the login screen, sometimes it accepts my username immediately, sometimes it doesn't. Everytime it takes approximately 20+ minutes to verify my password. After FINALLY getting logged on it takes approximately 1 hour for everything to load up. I'm stilling missing things when it loads. Then a window pops up with this message:

Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'.

Without the GNOME settings manager running, some preferences may not take effect. This could indicate a problem with Bonobo, or a non-GNOME (e.g. KDE) settings manager may already be active and conflicting with the GNOME settings manager.

Now I had made no changes to my system at all when these began happening. One minute it was running fine, then my internet lost connection so I restarted X after resetting my modem. Also if i login as root then it will accept the user name and password just fine, but it still takes a little bit for me to be able to edit any system settings.

Please help me with this as I can't do ANYTHING on my laptop. :(

2. id10t

id10t Member

Sounds like a network issue, since X is network based.

What is in /etc/hosts ? I've noticed that Ubuntu likes to put your hostname at 127.0.X.X where X.X is not 0.1 ...