undeliverable mail to my own system

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Ovidiu, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I send an email to one of my domains and it comes back with these errors:

and here is more details:

why does it try to deliver to debian@.... ? you see the original recipient was [email protected]...
    btw. this is the main email address of this user, its not an alias...

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please check /etc/postfix/virtusertable and your postfix alias file.

3. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I checked the virtualuser table and indeed there was a loop.

I have the following settings inside ispcfg panel:

[email protected] is being forwarded to [email protected]
    ovidiu also has the following aliases: abuse, webmaster and admin.

BUT inside the virtualuser table all these were not forwarded to [email protected] but to postmaster => resulting in a loop.

Can't I have this forwarded like I wanted to [email protected] ?

And if I can why is this setting not correctly written to the virtualuser table?

besides that I looked inside /etc/aliases - all users were forwarded to root and root was forwarded to debian, so I would like to make a forward from debian to [email protected] which is the central email address on this system.... can I just insert: debian: [email protected] ? or do I have to insert debian: web1_postmaster ?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The alis table is not managed by ISPConfig and its better to not use it at this may cause these problems you currently encounter.

Have you disabled username prefixes? Then you must have created an user named postmaster in the website web-designerz.de.

The username postmaster and the part "postmaster@" in an email address are independant. They can be the same when you disabled username prefixes, but they must not be the same.

5. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

well I only want mail going to root not to disappear so what do I insert into aliases so root points to [email protected] this email address or just root: web1_postmaster ?

next thing: I did not diable prefixes, I just asked if I can set a forward to [email protected] inside ispcfg panel or do I have to use web1_postmaster which means I cannot forward to external email addresses for instance.

I tried forwarding inside ispcfg panel to [email protected] but inside the virtualusertabel I see that [email protected] is being forwarded to web6_postmaster which is an alias for [email protected] so there is a loop...

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Use
    Code:
    root: web1_postmaster
    (and run
    Code:
    newaliases
    afterwards).

No, you must use email addresses in the forward field.

Do you have
    Code:
    web6_postmaster: [email protected]
    in /etc/aliases? Remove it!

7. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

ok, alls fine now except for this:

this is inside the virtualusertable although [email protected] is set to be forwarded to [email protected] which coresponds to web1_postmaster... WHY? and how to change this? delete the forward and set it again?

But now mails get into my inbox (mind that I am talking about the inbox of [email protected]) ... ? here is a header from a mail I just sent to myself:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  8. falko

Please post the contents of /etc/postfix/virtusertable and /etc/aliases.

9. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

although it seems to work atm - ?

10. falko

11. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

we agree that these are all relevant entries for this domain?

so all mail to these users goes to web6_postmaster and [email protected] goes to web6_postmaster !?

is this not a loop? Inside ispcfg panel I entered [email protected] which is web1_postmaster as the target address for forwarding all mails of [email protected] and mails do arrive there, but this looked like a loop to me.

12. falko

That's ok, it's no loop. You can watch your mail log how emails for [email protected] are rewritten to [email protected], so there's no loop. :)

13. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

thx for takling the time to explain, but what will happen with mails to [email protected] ? I mean there is no such email, I wanted mails to be forwarded to [email protected] ? where is the logic?

14. falko

It will go directly to web6_postmaster's mailbox, because Postfix can't find the address in /etc/postfix/virtusertable and therefore tries to find a system user named web6_postmaster.

If you want mails for web6_postmaster to be forwarded to web1_postmaster, you can do that with the forward field in ISPConfig, or you use /etc/aliases.

15. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

thats exactly what I have been asking the whole time :) does it work if I insert [email protected] (which is the email address of web1_postmaster) into the forward field (for [email protected] which is web6_postmaster) in ispconfig or do I have to enter web1_postmaster ?

16. falko

17. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

yes, but the results posted above by me are the results after entering [email protected] !? shouldn't I see a result there different than what I posted above?

18. falko

The forward is done using procmail recipes. Have a look at the procmail recipes in web6_postmaster's homedir.

19. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

ahhh there is a .forward file :-[ I am enlightened now, I did just not understand what was going on there .... thx a lot for the patience