Understanding concept: users for ftp and/or email?

Discussion in 'General' started by jmeyerdo, Oct 11, 2007.

1. jmeyerdo

jmeyerdo New Member

Hi!

I am looking for an alternative solution for a Debian/SysCP-system, based on CentOS. The administration-panel ISPCONFIG looks very promising for that.

I am playing around with the VMWare-Appliance/Demo actually and studied the documentation/manual yesterday - I am really impressed about all the well working features!

At one point I have problems with understanding now:
    Is it correct that every user of a site is an email-user and a ftp-user at the same time?
    Which of the ftp-users can access the general web for the site? I added an additional user and he got his own web-folder under the directory "user".

With my previous understanding I need a
    - ftp-user which can administer the website by ftp
    - 1-xxx email-users which can administer their email/can read and send email.

Is such a "simple" solution possible with ISPCONFIG?

Thank you very much for your help,
    kind regards!

Jens

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, at least in the current 2.2.17 stable release.

In the 2.3.3 development release, ftp can be enabled / disabled for every user.

The user where you enabled the "administrator" checkbox.

Yes. All ISPConfig users except of the web admin can have their own user website.

yes.

3. jmeyerdo

jmeyerdo New Member

Hello!

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful reply!
    These are interesting news - I will give the dev-version a try now.

Perhaps you could help me with my following questions regarding this additional:
    - Is it possible to install the actual dev-version with the existing how-to's for actual version?
    - Which version does contain the features mentioned above: the nightly builds from SVN (stable or dev)?
    - How "stable" is the actual dev-version?
    - How long does it take until the next RC or stable of the actual dev-version will be released?

Thank you very much,
    kind regards,

Jens

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

yes.

The 2.3.3-dev version which can be downloaded from sourceforge.

It has currently no known bugs.

I guess 1 - 2 months.

5. jbravo

jbravo Member

Cool news!:)
    I'm also interested in enabling/disabling user webdir for every user (default disabled; ftp default disabled also - minimal permissions way).

Do you know if this feature will be available in next stable version (or current dev)?
    I know that i can just disable mod_userdir in apache2 or set "0" to "WebSpace MB" for every user - but it is dirty way.

Seems to me that i need test machine (or virtual one) for testing cool new features in dev version:cool:

GreetZ .:JbRaVo:.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

No, this won't be in the next stable version.