UNetbootin fails to boot correctly

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by kcp4911, Oct 7, 2007.

1. kcp4911

kcp4911 New Member

Hi. Just tried to install Ubuntu 7.10 using UNetbootin as per the instructions at http://www.howtoforge.com/unetbootin_windows_ubuntu_fedora

I am installing via Windows XP Professional. I also have Windows XP Home installed as well (which I wont try installing from as it is meant to be a totally clean environment for a very touchy DAW).

After downloading and rebooting, I find Ubuntu listed as one of the OS to boot from. However, when I select Ubuntu, it goes to a GRUB> command line. This is not what should happen. Any idea why?

thanks
    simon

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Hm, maybe your hardware doesn't support booting over the network... Do you have a DHCP server in your network (e.g. on your router)?

3. aratinga77

aratinga77 New Member

Not finding file

I have Ubuntu 6.10 and have been trying UNetbootin to see if I can use it to get Feisty (there is not enough space in my /boot to do the version upgrade).

The UNetbootin started looking for 1,0 which returned "disk not found". I located the two mentions of this in the menu.lst and menu-ubn.lst, which got rid of that problem (my boot is 0,6). But now I am getting a "Error 15: file not found" message.

The references in the menu-ubn.lst are
    root (hd0,6)
    kernel /boot/ubnkern
    initrd /boot/ubninit

which looked fine to me. (I changed the root statement.)

I suddenly realised that the root statement takes the place of /boot in all subsequent names! I went through the files one more time and am now in process of loading the software.

Going to be late to work ;-)

Sandy (aratinga77)

4. kcp4911

kcp4911 New Member

...mmmmm....maybe I wont let a non-windows o/s within 200km of a windows disk after the nightmare of the past few days..... :mad: