Uninstall Ispconfig - keep Mailserver

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Joel75, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Joel75

Joel75 New Member

Hi!
    I searched the forum but wasn't able to find an answer.
    I have an Ispconfig 3 installation on two vservers. The main server has everything installed except the Mailserver. The second has just the Mailserver running.
    Now: how can I uninstall Ispconfig but keep my Mailserver?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can't uninstall ISPConfig on the second server as the ispconfig database is the database of the mail server, so when you uninstall ISPConfig there, your mail server will stop working. Uninstalling ispconfig on the first server has no influence on the mail system except that you just can't manage the mail system anymore and that you will get errors when the ispconfig on the mail system tries to connect to its master system once a minute.

3. Joel75

Joel75 New Member

I understand correct: I can uninstall Ispconfig and my Mailserver continues working, I don't loose mails and it continues receiving and submitting mails?
    How can fix the connection attempts?

4. till

No, you can't uninstall it on the mail server. You will not be able to receive or send emails if you would uninstall it.

Btw. Why do you want to remove ISPConfig from the mail server? It simply makes no sense unless you want to format the whole server and stop using it. That a system must fail when you remove the integral part that connects all components and contains the config for all mailboxes should be clear.

5. Joel75

Joel75 New Member

I am using today two vservers. I want to run the setup now just on one server and don't want to loose my mails. I am not using ispconfig for DNS or website management. Just for mail.

6. till

As said in my first answer, you can uninstall ispconfig from your web server, but not from the mail server. But you won't be able to manage your mail system anymore and the system will start to show errors due to the missing master server. ISPConfig uses nearly no resources, so your best option if you want to keep using ISPConfig is to keep the setup as it is. As an alternative, migrate the email system to a new single server ISPConfig setup.

7. Joel75

Joel75 New Member

Can I migrate the main ispconfig server to the mail server? The Mailserver is stronger than the main ispconfig server.

8. till

Just to be clear, the web server is the ispconfig master server, the mail server is an ispconfig slave system connected to the master? Both systems are currently managed through the ISPConfig UI on the web server, so when you add an email box, then you currently log into the ui on the web server and add the mailbox and ispconfig then adds the mailbox on the mail server, right?

9. Joel75

Joel75 New Member

Correct

10. till

It can be done, but its a bit of work fiddling with the database and some config files and moving the data files. How well do you know Linux?

11. Joel75

Joel75 New Member

I'm okay in Linux. The smaller VPS has just 1GB RAM and 1 virtual core. Is that enough for the mailserver (5 mail accounts) and the host system? Then I would move the email server to the host.

12. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

As always: It depends. It is enough for a low load mail server (lets say, less than 10 mails / minute) but may not be able to do proper virus scanning (virus signatures are held in memory). You can use bigger swap if you need virus/spam scanning, but that will be slow(er).

Summary: For virus and spam scanning, you should have at least 4 GB of ram. If you don't care about performance, you can use swap instead.