Unknown warnings during build of jailkit ISPconfig 31

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by danhansen@denmark, Apr 11, 2019.

1. danhansen@denmark

danhansen@denmark Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

I've gotten some warnings during the build of JailKit - during a installation of ThePerfectServer ISPConfig 31 Ubuntu 18.04.x - BIND, Apache, PHP, MySQL, Dovecot, Postfix.
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...pureftpd-bind-postfix-doveot-and-ispconfig/2/

Since it's just warnings and not errors, I'm guessing these can be ignored. I just want to have this confirmed before "buggering on" ;)

• dpkg-gencontrol: warning: debian/changelog(l5): found start of entry where expected more change data or trailer
    • LINE: jailkit (2.18-1) UNRELEASED; urgency=medium
    • dpkg-gencontrol: warning: debian/changelog(l5): found end of file where expected more change data or trailer
    • dpkg-gencontrol: warning: debian/changelog(l5): found start of entry where expected more change data or trailer
    • LINE: jailkit (2.18-1) UNRELEASED; urgency=medium
    • dpkg-gencontrol: warning: debian/changelog(l5): found end of file where expected more change data or trailer
    • dh_md5sums
    • dh_builddeb
    • dpkg-deb: building package 'jailkit' in '../jailkit_2.19-1_amd64.deb'.
    • dpkg-deb: building package 'jailkit-dbgsym' in 'debian/.debhelper/scratch-space/build-jailkit/jailkit-dbgsym_2.19-1_amd64.deb'.
    • Renaming jailkit-dbgsym_2.19-1_amd64.deb to jailkit-dbgsym_2.19-1_amd64.ddeb
    • make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/jailkit-2.19'

Kind Regards,
    Dan

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

The latest version of Jailkit is Jailkit 2.20, have you tried that? The version you used is from 18-11-2015, so quite a bit older than Ubuntu 18.04.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That should be fine as it did not abort the compile with a failed error message.

4. danhansen@denmark

Hi Taleman ;)

Well, you are right there my friend. Of course one should check version and use last stable version instead of the "old" version. Then again, is this the right thing to do? This must be the ultimate question, when it comes to tutorials and repositories/versions!?

Info: Regarding step 14 in the tutorial.
    [...]
    [...]
    "....install the Jailkit .deb package as follows:."
    [...]
    • cd ..
    • dpkg -i jailkit_2.19-1_*.deb
    • rm -rf jailkit-2.19*
    [...]

Installing it this way, isn't dependencies updated next apt update??

Some stuff from somewhere:

"....Your copy of Ubuntu has a private copy of the list of packages that are in Ubuntu's repositories. When you install a package, apt-get reads the list and determines the URL of the package to download (which typically contains package version information).
    apt-get update updates the package lists. If you don't do it before an installation, apt-get might complain that it cannot find the package in the repository, because it computed the URL based on an old version of the list (which listed an older version of the package).
    Of course, apt-get update is necessary after you have changed the repositories, because the system needs to download the list for the new repositories..."

KR
    Dan

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  5. till

Please see my post #3. Warnings during compilation of C and c++ programs are normal and nothing to worry about, unless the compile stopped with a message that contains 'failure'.

6. danhansen@denmark

Hi Till,
    Exactly ;) And isn't it updated next apt update? It's suppose to at least ;)

KR
    Dan

7. till

No, it's not supposed to be updated by apt. Jailkit does not exist as a package in the Ubuntu repositories, that's why you compile it.

8. danhansen@denmark

Exactly! I knew I read it somewhere..... Just wasn't sure about it...

9. danhansen@denmark

Thanks... Basic stuff I guess.. Can it be done so that it is? It was my understanding that dpkg did exactly this? When some software is updated, and other stuff aren't, wouldn't this be a reason for future conflicts? Which BTW could occur during an automated update??

I've got answer to my primary question, so thanks.... Anyway, I think it's pretty nice to know this. So, when you've got the time ;)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  10. till

If you want to update jailkit, you will have to compile a new version and then install it and remove the old one, both actions are done with dpkg command.

11. danhansen@denmark

Morning,

And here we are again ;)
    2 things, and then I think we are done, at last ;)

1. Same installation, same issue:
    At the absolut end of the tutorial, installing ISPconfig3.1, feeding information for certificates.... What is to be done here "<<==" ? Hit Enter or write something:

[...]
    Country Name (2 letter code) [AU]: <-- Enter 2 letter country code
    Locality Name (eg, city) []: <-- Enter your city
    Organization Name (eg, company) [Internet Widgits Pty Ltd]: <-- Enter company name or press enter
    Organizational Unit Name (eg, section) []: <-- Hit Enter
    Common Name (e.g. server FQDN or YOUR name) [server1.canomi.com]: <-- Enter the server hostname, in my case: server1.example.com
    Email Address []: <-- Hit Enter

Configuring Ubuntu Firewall
    Configuring Fail2ban
    [INFO] service OpenVZ not detected
    Configuring Apps vhost
    Installing ISPConfig
    ISPConfig Port [8080]: <<== Enter for standard port 8080 I guess..

Admin password [admin]: <<== admin or Enter for standard password "admin" ??
    Do you want a secure (SSL) connection to the ISPConfig web interface (y,n) [y]: <-- Hit Enter
    [...]

2. Mirror Server on Ubuntu 18.04.x ??
    Do you know if is now possible to make mirror servers on Ubuntu/Debian installations?? I tried this back we hen I made the first server on Ubuntu 12.04.x, it couldn't be done, due to some issues between MySQL/Ubuntu i think it was. I would really love to have a duplicate running at all times..

Thanks for all the help guys ;)

KR
    Dan

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  12. till

1) Yes.
    2) Yes, Mirror servers can be installed on Debian, Ubuntu, and CentOS. Mirror servers on Ubuntu 12 were possible as well, it just might be that the steps that need to be taken differ for each mysql version.

13. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

No, since you did not install the package using APT, APT knows nothing about the package and so can not update it. Furthermore, like @till pointed out, jailkit does not exist in the package repository, so no matter what APT can not update it anyway.
    If you must have jailkit installable with APT, you can compile your own .deb file for it and make your own repository to install it from. Or become a Debian or Ubuntu developer, and get jailkit in those distributions.
    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=648040
    That ITP looks like there is nothing preventing jailkit getting into Debian, except someone needs to do the work.