Update from Debian 10 to 11 Fail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Mike Hosken, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Mike Hosken

Mike Hosken New Member

Hi everyone I’ve upgraded my server from buster to bullseye Debian 10 to 11. I used apt-get dist-upgrade and it broke everything from php and Maria. I fixed most of it but smtp doesn’t work.

I kind of need perfect server for Debian 11
    Can someone please update Deb 11 as the Deb 10 leads to the same problem. I have no smtp. When trying the perfect server on Deb 11. I can’t use the script on some of my machines as packages don’t exist and need to be compiled.
    I would need to reinstall at least 3 servers with buster. To do this would cost me a lot of time and money as they are colo machines.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I do not understand that sentence.
    Did you do the Debian upgrade following instructions from Debian 11 Release Notes? https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/releasenotes
    Following those leads to successfull upgrade.
    After the Debian upgrade has finnished succesfully and rebooting to the upgraded system, you need to follow Perfect Server Guide for Debian 11, which is not published yet so you are kind of screwed. I am postponing upgrades to Debian 11 until Debian 11.1 or 11.2 point release is published, and on ISPConfig systems until Perfect Server Guide exists for Debian 11.
    What would have worked is to install new ISPConfig system using the automatic installation script published by ISPConfig and then use migrate tool to migrate data from the old system to new.

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I updated a mail server yesterday, other than the Debian update, I had to install some needed php packages (basically the set from the Debian 10 guide, just change the names from 7.3 to 7.4, though there are a couple packages which don't exist) and fix permissions on the amavis conf.d directory/files as described in another post or the issue tracker. Run the ispconfig updater after you're done to reconfigure services. All in all it went pretty well.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  4. maumar

maumar Member

Hello Jessie
    was you able to upgrade a
    Debian 10 with Ispconfig installed
    to
    Debian 11
    Did you had any issue?

5. Jesse Norell

Just what I mentioned above, from what I remember. I've upgraded several systems, and they have gone pretty smoothly.

6. Mike Hosken

Mike Hosken New Member

How are we getting on with the install guide for bullseye, perfect server Debian 11. I don’t like the script installer for one and two I use non amd/intel processors and need to compile packages.

7. Kmserwis

Kmserwis New Member

Hi

Can you update my debian 10 to 11 and fix ispconfig?

Of course, for a fee

8. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I can not, but ISPConfig Business Support can. See here: https://www.ispconfig.org/support/

9. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Feel free to PM me.

10. Esbeeb

Esbeeb New Member

I just did a Debian 10 -> 11 upgrade, and can verify that getting ISPconfig working again, worked for me, as Jesse Norell says.
    Here were some commands I did after the upgrade, some of which Jesse only speaks of briefly:
    apt remove phpmyadmin
    apt install php7.4 php7.4-bz2 php7.4-cgi php7.4-cli php7.4-common php7.4-curl php7.4-fpm php7.4-gd php7.4-imap php7.4-intl php7.4-json php7.4-mbstring php7.4-mysql php7.4-opcache php7.4-phpdbg php7.4-pspell php7.4-readline php7.4-soap php7.4-tidy php7.4-xml php7.4-xmlrpc php7.4-xsl php7.4-zip
    chown root.amavis /etc/amavis/conf.d/50-user
    ispconfig_update.sh --force​

11. Th0m

Why remove phpmyadmin?

12. brainsys

brainsys Member

On a two fresh manual installs of Debian 11 (one before the autoinstaller supported Debian 11 and the other because it doesn't support arm64) phpmyadmin failed. On both I had apt install-ed. I removed it and re-installed using the Debian 10 instructions just updating the version number and it worked on amd64. I have yet to repeat that on arm64.

I think we both agree that an apt install would be better. And it must have worked perfectly when I autoinstalled another amd64 system - but I think we may need guidance on how the autoinstaller scripts the phpymadmin install for Debian 11 for when we have to do manual installs.

13. Th0m

What failed exactly?

14. brainsys

brainsys Member

Get a 500 error. No clue in the logs. Am I looking at the right ones?

15. Esbeeb

Esbeeb New Member

That was just me being paranoid, wanting to shrink any attack surface. I didn't need it, as I can run the very, very occasional SQL statement on the command line, if need be.

Also, my upgrade from Debian 10 to Debian 11 left phpmyadmin in a sort of half-configured state, and I didn't want to want to figure out how to resolve the packaging system's stress-causing conundrum. Uninstalling the package was the easier way out.

16. Th0m

Probably not ;) But the problem was probably a incorrect PHP version. As said, we don't support arm so it's hard to say.

Thanks for the info.

17. brainsys

brainsys Member

I did find the error in /var/log/apache2/error.log:
    Code:
    PHP Fatal error:  require_once(): Failed opening required 'PhpMyAdmin/MoTranslator/autoload.php' (include_path='.') in /usr/share/phpmyadmin/autoload.php on line 2
    These files didn't exist. They also didn't exists in a working ISPConfig (amd64) server. In fact the whole directory looked quite different although nominally they were running the same version of phpmyadmin.

Fixed it by doing an apt purge and reinstalling from Perfect Tutorial 10 just changing the version to 5.0.4. Then worked first time. Lesson learnt: avoid the repository installation.

18. Jesse Norell

Not sure what your issue was there, but for what it's worth, I would advise the opposite, and have gone to replacing all custom (and potentially outdated/insecure) phpmyadmin installations with the package from bullseye-backports as I updated machines. I would much rather have upstream security fixes pushing to my system regularly.

Though if you are going to install phpmyadmin from source, see
    https://www.howtoforge.com/communit...-installation-up-to-date-automatically.88495/ to address that concern.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  19. brainsys

brainsys Member

The issue is the repository installation doesn't work and no one can tell me how to fix it. As phpmyadmin access is not publicly available I can live with the updated PST implementation which, at least, works. That, as I understand it is the official recommendation.

20. Th0m

Currently the bullseye-backports package is up-to-date, but in the past week I have been digging into the state of the packages and they often aren't up-to-date or weird errors occur after install/update. Install from source is the way most people (including the main phpMyAdmin dev which I spoke to) recommend. That's why I build the script, so it can be kept up-to-date easily.