update problems

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by NeonTigerUK, Jan 10, 2017.

1. NeonTigerUK

NeonTigerUK Member

Hi All

Last time i ran an OS update, it got stuck due to requiring me to manually enter some values, i think for PHP (but i could be wrong) checking the servers there are numerous updates needed for each, is there a way to "force" that existing settings are kept rather than the process hanging?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which OS?

3. NeonTigerUK

NeonTigerUK Member

Debian Jessie

4. till

5. NeonTigerUK

NeonTigerUK Member

ok, but i dont think that will solve the problem, i **think** that it's after the reboot that it hangs, im going to manually update one of the servers and i will report back

6. till

I'm not aware that a Debian update can ask for input at boot time. so yes, please check for the exact message in case it appears again at boot time.

7. NeonTigerUK

NeonTigerUK Member

I've done started the update via ISPC how can i check the progress on the server by SSH? or in ISPC

8. till

You can't. ISPCnfig runs the update in non interactive mode similar to the link I posted above. Wait a few minutes and then run:

apt-get upgrade

it should show then that there are no more updates pending-

9. NeonTigerUK

NeonTigerUK Member

apt-get upgrade brings this .... im guessing either its still in progress or its stalled again

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

will try reconnecting to the server via ssh, and see what happens ... update coming soon

10. NeonTigerUK

NeonTigerUK Member

re-connecting brings no difference

wonder whats happening on the server

11. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

did you run it as root?

12. till

Or the update process was not finished at the time you checked it.