Update root mysql pass in multiple servers

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Stelios, Aug 1, 2023.

1. Stelios

Stelios Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

I've got a couple of servers in a multi server setup that I want to change root password of mysql in all of them.
    Under mysql/user table it seems that for each there are multiple root access rights like:

example: controlpanelserver, ip 10.0.0.1 (internal) 192.168.1.1 (suppose an external), localhost
    So under the mysql, user table there are 3 root accounts.
    In other servers like db, email etc there are:
    1 entry for localhost, one for its internal ip and one for its external IP plus one last that points back to the controlpanelserver IP, so 4 in total

Is there a way to change all passwords quickly on all servers or I have to update each one manually on all (12 servers)?

Also do I need to update any other file/setting related with ispconfig?

Thanks in advance

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Not that I know of. They are separate accounts so each password must be changed.

3. Stelios

I did change all passwords and now the backup failed as root can't connect. Which file I have to update to include the new root pass?

Thanks

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The file is /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf

5. Stelios

Thanks till. Eventhough I got the proper password on that file on a specific server I'm keep getting:
    "Failed to make backup of database"
    Running the command from terminal works as the DB server is within the same machine in this case.

6. till

Run these two test commands:

mysql -h localhost -u root -p
    mysql -h 127.0.0.1 -u root -p

and enter the password when requested. The login must work with both commands.

7. Stelios

It is indeed working with both

8. Stelios

Forgot to mention that the backup directory is remotely but doesn't have any problems mount and unmount it.

9. till

Where exactly do you see this message? In ISPConfig? or when you do an update? or when you debug the backup plugin?

10. Stelios

Under error in monitoring. I've tried to get a manual backup as well and it fails too.

11. Stelios

Further to my post, if I run the command manually on terminal it takes the backup:

mysqldump -u root -p******* c1mydb > c1mydb.sql

The DB is very large, 3GB in case it matters.

12. till

Try:

mysqldump -h localhost -u root -p******* c1mydb > c1mydb.sql

and also

mysqldump -h 127.0.0.1 -u root -p******* c1mydb > c1mydb.sql

do both work? If they both work, then the issue is likely not related to the root password.

13. Stelios

It works with both fine; tried it and works also on the remote storage.
    It doesn't work through the interface of ISPConfig.
    The same happening on all servers that I upgraded to latest Debian 12. I got 15 servers total, finished the upgrade on 3 of them only and only on those is not working, all the rest are fine so it mus be something related with it.

14. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Are all hosts running the same ISPConfig version?
    If problem exists on hosts that were upgraded to Debian 12, but hosts still running Debian 11 work OK, the cause may be different DB version. Or is the new version somehow more strict with authentication or needs configuration tweaks?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  15. till

Ok, so it might be some kind of PHP 8.2 issue then or its related to the new MariaDB version. Have you tried using debug mode in ISPConfig to see if you get any additional errors on the shell when doing an instant backup?

16. Stelios

The version is the same on all servers, the latest of ISPConfig.
    Running from cli with debug it throws:

mysqldump: Couldn't execute 'SHOW FUNCTION STATUS WHERE Db = 'c1mydb'': Cannot load from mysql.proc. The table is probably corrupted (1728)
    13.08.2023-20:14 - ERROR - Failed to make backup of database c1mydb, because mysqldump failed
    finished cron debug.

There isn't any corruption on the table as manual works fine.

17. Stelios

18. Stelios

Running the following command as root it works and now backups are working as expected:

mysql_upgrade -u root -p

Maybe you can add this to a patch to avoid more people having same problem.

19. till

As far as I can see from the link you posted, your MariaDB database was not properly upgraded when upgrading Debian, so there was no issue in ISPConfig, and there is nothing we could patch to avoid this as we will definitely not do automatic MariaDB table structure upgrades just out of the blue on systems that run ISPConfig.