Update vs. new installation

Discussion in 'General' started by Bocki, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Bocki

Bocki Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello everybody,
    I've got a few servers with ISPConfig running which I've set up with (probably) Debian 8 initially. Since then I've updated them. In general do you suggest to continue to update them or would it be better to "start over" after some time with a fresh installation on, say, Debian 11? In this case I would probably use the ISPConfig 3 Migration Toolkit to copy the data.
    Thanks!

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are advantages to each; I would probably consider what would you do if the current system were trashed and required a rebuild? It may be worth building a new system and migrating so you have fresh notes on what customizations/configuration needs done. If you already have those notes, then there's not a real need to start over unless you want more practice in doing so.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

If they're still working I'd suggest continue maintaining them rather than starting as there is no need to fix what were not broken, and so long they are still being supported.

You may add new servers with new build (hardwares and/or softwares) and retire the older ones from time to time as and when that become necessary.

4. Bocki

Bocki Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks for your answers! :)