Updated dns values not reflected in dig

Discussion in 'General' started by Srinivasan C, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Srinivasan C

Srinivasan C New Member

After update MX Records in ISPConfig panel => DNS, not reflected/propagated even after a day.
    No luck even delete and recreate the dns zone in the panel for the domain.
    I can see the updated values in /var/named/pri.domain.com (without .err extension)
    But I unable to see the updated values in "dig ANY domain.com @localhost" in server. Its shown unexpected old values.

Please help me to resolve the issue.
    Thank you very much

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

It may take some times to be properly propagated, though some times it may work almost instantly, however you dig command result just proved that it did not properly propagated yet.

3. Srinivasan C

Srinivasan C New Member

Yes I know, its take few hours.
    But now, more than 36 hrs gone. Sure, problem somewhere....Please help me to resolve it.

4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

My dns server knowledge is quite rusty since I did not maintain any but was your DNS server properly working before you faced this problem?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

When the correct details are in the zone file and it has no .err file ending, them there is no issue with ISPConfig. What remains is that either this zone file is not included via named.conf.locl (open that file and check if you find the zone there) or that Bind is crashed in a way that it refuses to load zone changes. In the second case, stop bind, check with ps command if there are any remaining Bind / named processes running, kill them and then start Bind again.

ahrasis likes this.
  6. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

If this is the case, i.e. your name server does not have the new data, then it is not a problem with propagation. If the primary name server does not have the data, neither can the other name servers in the Internet.
    My signature has link to DNS guide, it has info on how to troubleshoot.
    Did you remember to end every fully qualified domain name in your zone with a dot?

ahrasis likes this.