Updating ISPConfig3 - Ubuntu Server 10.04

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by danhansen@denmark, Mar 17, 2013.

1. danhansen@denmark

danhansen@denmark Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

I have an Ubuntu Server 10.04 with ISPConfig3 installed. I have a few questions regarding updating the system, both Ubuntu and the ISPConfig3.

[Short version]
    1a. How do I update ISPConfig3 and Ubuntu Server 10.04 and in which order? Updating Ubuntu there is a lot of choices you have to make regarding keeping my.conf, saslauthhd, rkhunter, pop3d.conf, mysql.conf, imapd.cnf or not. Due to the installation of ISPConfig I guess keeping the changed files/version will be the right thing to do. In the end of update ubuntu asks "keep 'old packages'" Just not sure what to do!?!
    1b. Does any command make the installation run forward keeping the default settings and MySQL root-password?
    1c. Updating ISPConfig3 - will this be the right thing to do:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://www.ispconfig.org/downloads/ISPConfig-3-stable.tar.gz
    tar xvfz ISPConfig-3-stable.tar.gz
    cd ispconfig3_install/install
    php -q update.php

1d. Is it possible to have both Ubuntu and ISPConfig do the update automatic? Will it work using the right variables?

[Long version]
    1. After having followed the great tutorial The Perfect Server ISPConfig3 Ubuntu 10.04 I noticed that the ISPConfig3 version was an older version. Therefore I would like to now how to update it the right way!?! Please answer with full commands/guide me through due to my status as a novice. Thanks.

2. Due to my status as a novice I choosed the "automated update" when installing the Ubuntu Server 10.04. Searching the web for info regarding updating ISPConfig3 I noticed the info inserted below. Now I realize that choosing "automated update" maybe was not such a great idea. Maybe this will suddenly change the setup and result in the ISPConfig3 controlpanel or other stuff to fail? :confused:
    Link to text: http://www.faqforge.com/?s=update+ispconfig3&x=36&y=9
    After running a system upgrade on your Ubuntu based ISPConfig 3 server, it might happen that aptitude overwrites some config files from postfix especially the main.cf file. To fix this, download the latest ISPConfig 3 installer, unpack it and run the update.php script. Choose “yes” when the updater asks if the services shall be reconfigured. ISPConfig will replace the configuration files that had been modified by the ubuntu upgrade.
    Should I change to "manual updating" in Ubuntu Server 10.04? And if, how do I do that? If I change to "manual updating" will there then be any notification on the startup screen on the server when updates are available or will I have to search from time to time?

3. In my search for updating info and todo's I noticed this as well. Is there a setup that will update it automatic? And which script are tehy reffering to:
    Link to website: http://www.ispconfig.org/releases/ispconfig-3-0-4-6-released/
    http://www.faqforge.com/linux/controlpanels/ispconfig3/how-to-update-ispconfig-3/
    If the ISPConfig version on your server does not have this script yet, follow the manual update instructions below.
    Manual update instructions:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://www.ispconfig.org/downloads/ISPConfig-3-stable.tar.gz
    tar xvfz ISPConfig-3-stable.tar.gz
    cd ispconfig3_install/install
    php -q update.php

Again, which is the right way to do this? Is there a script as mentioned in the info, for updating ISPConfig3 automatic? Or will the best way be to do it manual? I think maybe it is having read all these FAQ's. I read 50 sites regarding this but I still am very much in doubt. Please advice me how to do this right! And doing that please specify the commands :eek:

I am looking forward to your response.

Kind Regards,
    DanHansen@Denmark

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. danhansen@denmark

danhansen@denmark Member HowtoForge Supporter

Did it - but is it the right way? Ubuntu Server 10.04 & ISPConfig3

Hi,

Did what I had to do and took a chance. But was it the right way? And there are still some unanswered questions:

1. To upgrade/update Ubuntu Server 10.04 I did this:
    "do-release-upgrade"
    and kept the default settings in my.conf, saslauthd, rkhunter, pop3d.conf, mysql.conf, imapd.cnf

2. To update ISPConfig i did this: ispconfig_update.sh and selected [stable] - No updates were available so it must have been the newest one ;)

The ControlPanel still works but since I haven't started on the setup in the ControlPanel yet, no one knows if its still ok.

3. "Automated Update" in Ubuntu Server 10.04 - is this a CRON job or where do you change to "Manual Update"

4. CRON? Is it possible to update both ISPConfig3 and Ubuntu Server 10.04 with scripts as a CRON-job?

5. Sorry, but can't see difference between "update" and "upgrade !?! Please help specify it :eek:

Kind Regards,
    DanHansen@Denmark