Updating websites when a snipet is modified

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by pzajda, Aug 2, 2019.

1. pzajda

pzajda Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello,

Before opening an issue, I would like to ask the following:
    Actualy, if I modify a snipet, websites vhost or php which use it don't seams to be modified.
    To precize, I use Debian Buster and Nginx, so PHP 7.3 FPM.
    Is it the waited behavior?
    Except resyncing (maybe I realy abuse of this functionality :)) what can be done to update websites which use it?
    Wouldn't be interesting if it could be done automatically?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That's correct, snippets are templates to be used by the admin in the website config. They shall not modify websites on their own.

3. pzajda

Sorry, I'm not sure to understand right.
    For example, if I create a snipet for Wordpress and want to improve it when it is already used on some websites. Why these websites should not be modified after I modified the snipet?
    What did I understand wrong?

4. till

When you start to run larger hosting systems then you will learn soon that it's a bad idea to do something like that as there are always sites which are not fully compatible with your change when you run thousands of sites and if you killed many sites in your cluster with a single change of the snippet then you know why such an automation is really bad and also why no admin on a larger system would use your beloved resync function unless he is doing a migration

5. pzajda

OK thanks, I see.
    So, here is my nooby question, sorry in advance: what to consider before creating a snippet or to add directives for a single website?
    And what to do if I have to modify a snippet?
    I don' realy understand in which case I have to select the snipet in the web server config list or to click on the link.
    For the first case, it is only when the snippet is not showed to customer that I select it using the "web server config" list?

Right, I have a very small amount of websites I host, fortunately... And I am aware of my abusive usage of resync I tend to drastically reduce, in fact only when necessary, in fact near by never.

6. till

Test it again and again before you roll it out.

Don't modify. Better create a new one and give your snippets version numbers.