Upgrade a running install from wheezy to jessie

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by ispcomm, Sep 2, 2015.

1. ispcomm

ispcomm Member

Now that wheezy is obsolete, I am considering to upgrade some running servers from wheezy to jessie. The servers are in a multi-server setup with ispconfig 3.0.5.4p8
    I would like to keep the currently installed config files for all (dovecot/postfix/apache etc) as they have been heavily customized. This means that services cannot be reconfigured by ispconfig for the time being.
    Are there any issues to be aware of ? Have you done it ?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The syntax of the apache config files has changed as jessie uses apache 2.4. ISPConfig handles this with reconfigure and website resync, but as you dont want to use these functions, you'll have to take care manually to convert all config files.

3. ispcomm

ispcomm Member

Actually, I'm not afraid of apache, but more about postfix/dovecot.
    Dovecot goes from 2.2.13 (I'm using backports) to 2.2.13
    Postfix goes from 2.9.6 to 2.11.3
    It looks everything shall be fine, but are you aware of some "major" problems?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There should be no issues with the mail system.

5. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I updated some servers to jessie in the last days and i never saw problems with postfix and dovecot. Just keep your existings configs during the upgrade.
    And you may wan´t to remove systemd after the upgrade. ;)

6. ispcomm

ispcomm Member

I did an upgrade on one of our inbound mx servers. It went smooth (almost:)

The only issue was with postfix. The upgrade script messed up the main.cf file, adding an smtpd_relay_restrictions section at the end (silently, I would add!). This is because of the new smtpd_relay_restrictions parameter added in postfix 2.10

Now, the catch is that this section is used also for the internal "relaying" from amavis to postfix and I had a policy implemented that will limit inbound rate in smtpd_recipient_restrictions which went straight into relay_restrictions too. After a couple of minutes, amavis could not send anything back to postfix, resulting in a mail queue of few thousand mails. This is an issue with my setup, as the policy servers are not standard in ispconfig (well, at least the way I am implementing them).

The above cannot be considered an ispconfig failure, but I think this information can be usefull for future reference.