upgrade amavisd

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Turbanator, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Turbanator

Turbanator Member HowtoForge Supporter

Running a Perfect Server debian Lenny x64.

Can I upgrade amavisd-new to 2.6.4 without breaking anything??

Any tips I should know about?

After looking more, I'm guessing I should install a backport version, yes?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I haven't tried this, so I can't say anything about it. I suggest you try this on a test system first.

3. Turbanator

It worked!

Now, of course, apt-get is telling me there are a lot of other updates but I only did amavisd-new.

Btw, I did this due to a spam issue I was having in a different post and the backport upgrade seems to have solved the problem.

I did this from here: http://backports.debian.org/

4. Turbanator

how about spamassassin backport upgrade?

Wel it actually didn't fix the content_filtering issue. So I've upgraded via backports postfix and amavisd-new . the only thing left is Spamassassin via backport....Falko, any thoughts on THAT breaking the system if I upgraded via backport?

(this is all due to an outside email being blocked due to content filtering on my debian lenny box...but the email comes through without a problem on my Fedora 13. And the email is totally legit and should NOT be blocked. It's even blocked while whitelisting and bypassing within amavisd-new but for some reason the Replies are being blocked still) If I cna't figure this out, I'll be force to start over and migrate the server to fedora.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I dont think that the software versions are the reason for the problem, so updating will not solve that. I recommend that you change the debug level of amavis so that you get detailed output in the log file, restart amavisd and then check why it gets blocked.

To get the latest filter rules, just run:

sa-update

on the shell as root user and then restart amavisd.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  6. Turbanator

I know you're probably right since amavis is the same now on both releases (although SA is 3.2.5 on debian and 3.3.2 on fedora....I was just hoping to first get apples to apples).

I was hoping to avoid the debug level since I process so many emails it'll be a bear to go through.

I do sa-update nightly. Maybe my confusion is knowing how much of SA is being used by amavisd-new. I read a note somewhere that spamassassin needs to be reloaded after every sa-update in order to utilize the new sa-update...is that true? I know I'm not reloading SA or amavisd-new nightly.

http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/sa-update.html

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  7. till

Thats not the case if amavisd is used. Spamassassin does not even have to be started on that system as it is not used. But you have to restart amavisd after running sa-update.

spamassassin consist of a library that does the spam scanning and some code for the spamd daemon. Amavisd now uses the spamassassin library for spam scanning without using the daemon code. Basically amavisd is a advanced replacement of the spamd daemon.

8. Turbanator

So we do need to restart amavisd nightly, I mean, since sa-update is in the nightly cron, then a restaart of amavisd should also be there, yes? I don't recall this being noted anywhere previously so I'm just looking for clarification.

9. till

If you use sa-update, then you should restart amavisd afterwards.