Upgrade 'challenge' for Xubuntu 14.04

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by 'the Moose', Dec 4, 2015.

1. 'the Moose'

'the Moose' New Member

Hi all,
    I have a 'challenge' in Xubuntu... I have a home server running on Xubuntu 14.04 and installed LAMP like described in the article 'The Perfect Server' here on HowtoForge. I also installed 'ownCload' as a personal cload server.

Now I'm facing the fact that my sytem feezes after some time being idle. I had an extensive search on the interweb to find a solution, tried probably all of them (incl. nVidia driver changing, lightdm service stoped etc.), but nothing seems to work. As a final solution I want to try is to upgrade the system to Xubuntu 15.10 and see if that bug has been solved...

However... if I try an upgrade I get an error message that says: 'There is an unsolvable problem detected'
    The causes is probably that I have unofficial software packages not being provided by Ubuntu (like ISPConfig 3 and ownCload).

Now, is there a way to upgrade without having to reïnstall every thing I have so painfully configured?
    I'm kind of a newbie to Linux, all my 'knowledge' comes from those great tutorials I find all over the interweb...

=====================================================================
    System: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
    Memory: 4GB
    GPU: nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS

Xubuntu Desktop 14.04.3 LTS (Trusty Tahr), ISPConfig3 version 3.0.5.4p8 (Single Server Setup), Fixed IP/WAN
    Apache2 : v2.4.7 (Ubuntu)
    PHP : v5.5.9-1ubuntu4.14
    phpMyAdmin : v4.3.8deb0.1
    MySQL : v5.5.46-0ubuntu0.14.04.2-log - (Ubuntu)
    FTP : PureFTPD v1.0.36-1.1
    NameServer : BIND v9.9.5.dfsg-3ubuntu0.5
    POP3/IMAP Daemon : Dovecot v2.2.9-1ubuntu2.1
    MailServer : PostFix v2.11.0-1ubuntu1
    Webmail : SquirrelMail v1.4.23~svn20120406-2 & Roundcube Webmail v0.9.5-4
    Tutorial used : "The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 14.04 (Apache2, PHP, MySQL, PureFTPD, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3)"
    =====================================================================

2. Hiya,

Are you trying to update from 14.04 to 15.10 immediately or in steps? Because the updating process will fail if you don't do it in steps. So please try the following:
    14.04 --> 14.10
    14.10 --> 15.04
    15.04 --> 15.10
    This should work if you got a properly working net connection for downloading.

3. 'the Moose'

'the Moose' New Member

Hello CrypticDesigns,
    Yes, that was my initial approach because I have read about this before. However 14.10 is EOL, so I can't upgrade from 14.04 to 14.10 the 'normal' way I know, because using the update tool I can't select that option.
    So if you know I way I can do it without the update tool, please advice me...
    As said before, I'm quite a newbie....

4. Im not really experience with XUbuntu but try this:
    Open a terminal and run:
    Code:
    sudo -i
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    Reboot your system to finish installing updates, and to upgrade to new available version:

Run:

Code:
    sudo -i
    update-manager -d
    Software Updater will show up and search for the new release, after a few seconds, you will see a screen like below that saying:

However, Ubuntu 14.10 is available now (you have 14.04).

Press the button Upgrade to start upgrading to Ubuntu 14.10.

[​IMG]

The Software Updater will ask you to confirm still you want to upgrade, press Start Upgrade to begin installing Ubuntu 14.10.

Now, the Software Updater will prepare to start setting up new software channels, and after a few minutes, the software updater will notify you the details the number of packages are going to be removed, and number of packages are going to be installed, press Start upgrade to continue.

Ended the dist-upgrade, reboot your system and:

Run:

Code:
    sudo -i
    dpkg --configure -a
    apt-get -f install
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get autoremove
    apt-get clean
    Hope this will help you