Upgrade Debian Lenny To Squeeze for remote server

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Loveless, May 22, 2012.

1. Loveless

Loveless Member

I was wondering, does the "Upgrade Debian Lenny To Squeeze In A Few Simple Steps" also work for a remote server, which I can only access through ssh and webmin ?
    I'm especially uncertain about the restart with the new Grub2 and the startup options the screen will present at the non-existing KVM access..

In addition, I have created some customization to the mounts, since this Lenny x64 server is running on an SSD.

Any ideas what I should pay extra attention to when I do this upgrade to Squeeze remotely?

Let's just say I simply CAN'T physically access this machine, ever, anytime soon, and I have no remote KVM. So I'm running with that in mind. I just can't allow myself to be locked out.

Also, what is the best method to disable most services on this machine, so that they don't autostart/autorun after the upgrade? Is there a particular run-level I should set them to? (Apart from ssh of course..)
    I mean, I want all installed software to be included in the upgrade of course, but I would like to stepwise start them all up separately and carefully check logs and do autoreboots without them after set times etc., so I know they will not freeze my hardware in any way after the upgrade is done, or if they do I can access the machine again..

Thanks for any and all hints on this subject.

Last edited: May 22, 2012