Upgrade from Debian Wheezy (7.7) and ISPConfig 3.0?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Kira, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Kira

Kira Member

Hey,

I have a server that hasn't been touched much for the last couple years and is still running Debian Wheezy (7.7) and ISPConfig 3.0.5.4p5
    Does anyone have any recommendation or tips for the best route to update this system to Debian 10 and ISPConfig 3.2?

I tried to run ispconfig_update.py first while still on Wheezy,, thinking it may be a good idea to update this first before I do Debian. And while the update worked fine for the apache and mysql configs, dovecot unfortunately failed to launch afterwards due to config errors. And when I reverted the dovecot configs to what they were before the update, it launched successfully but I still couldn't send or receive emails for some reason.

I didn't dig into it any further at that point and rolled back everything and restored an image of the whole server I made right before the update.

So, before I go for the next try .. does anyone have recommendations for how to best approach this? :)

Thank you!
    Kira

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

It might be faster to setup a current server and use the migration tool, if you haven't considered that option.

I would upgrade all Debian versions, one after another, until you're at 10. Then go through the perfect server guide and install everything needed, and finish with the ispconfig update.

3. Kira

Kira Member

Hmm true, I haven't considered that yet. Good point! :)
    I am not worried about migrating the Websites and Databases, but have little to no experience about how to migrate email accounts and data - does the migration tool handle that?

I'll try that and see how it goes I think. Anything I need to worry about in regards to existing email accounts and data?

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, the migration tool does handle that.