Upgrade from Fedora 4 to Fedora 5

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by adamluz, Jun 15, 2006.

1. adamluz

adamluz New Member

Hello, I am new to the upgrade process of linux. I know if you upgrade windows 98 to xp it keeps most your files. I am wondering, I need to upgrade my machine because gcc is broken and a few other things. If I reboot the machine and upgrade it from cd from Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 5, will this keep this ispconfig install on it or will it delete it? Do I need to do something special so it doesn't get deleted?

Thanks
    Adam

PS. I would assume the answer will be the same for the e-mail and apache documents...?

2. brainz

brainz Member

I think what would be recommended particularly if it is a live server that you do not upgrade it ........

Also if you do want to upgrade which i have tried and it does not work well at all with ispconfing best to do a fresh install then reinstall and reconfigure ispconfig.....

Anyone can correct me on this....

Hope this helps

regards
    brainz;):cool:

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Such an upgrade is always risky. It shouldn't alter your configuration files, but you can never know. And I'm not sure if this will fix your gcc problems...

4. adamluz

adamluz New Member

The reason I ask is because the system keeps dumping a bunch of numbers saying something has crashed almost every morning when I get in. Happens at different times and the log isn't recording anything strange. Is there a way to run some tests to find out why the machine keeps dying? and I know this question does partain to ispconfig but would anyone know how to repair the gcc?

Thanks

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's the exact error message?