Upgrade PHP on Ubuntu 16.04 Pefect Server with Apache

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Tastiger, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Tastiger

Tastiger Member HowtoForge Supporter

Quick question, should I upgrade php (Joomla is giving me a warning about
    If so can you point me to a tutorial?
    Or would I be better off just doing a release upgrade to 18.04?
    TIA

causse likes this.
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ubuntu 16.04 is supported until 2021, so if this is the only reason to upgrade to 18.04 then maybe not. On the one hand 18.04 gives you newer versions of most software, but on the other after do-release-upgrade you must setup it according to the Perfect Server Guide to Ubuntu 18.04. There were threads about this upgrade on friday and yesterday, https://www.howtoforge.com/communit...m-ubuntu-16-04-lts-to-ubuntu-18-04-lts.79963/
    But that claim comes from Joomla, Ubuntu does make security upgrades to PHP until year 2021 for Ubuntu 16.04. The situation is not so bad as that warning implies.
    If you decide to stick to 16.04, you can install multiple versions of PHP, and select per website which PHP version it runs. So you could give PHP 7.1 or 7.2 to that Joomla website. I used this tutorial, which if for Debian, maybe similar exists for Ubuntu, but anyway it should be very much the same, since Ondrej Sury provides these extra PHP versions also for all supported Ubuntu releases. https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...fig-3-from-debian-packages-on-debian-8-and-9/

causse likes this.
  3. Tastiger

Thanks for that - I did find a tutorial yesterday
    https://ayesh.me/Ubuntu-PHP-7.2
    But to be honest if Joomla is overstating the fact, it probably best to leave things as is and see what happens when December comes as I believe that is the official end of support date for 7.0.x.
    I think this may be a case of if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
    Cheers.

causse likes this.
  4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You don't have to upgrade Ubuntu just to cater php version and the tutorial you referred to is already a good solution.

That said, I personally upgrade mine from 16.04 to 18.04 because of its new features. :D

5. Tastiger

I have the link saved, will sit tight for while and see what happens, as long as it issn't a security risk.

6. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Simply update apache2 and multi-installation of php 7.x.

It goes without saying that the newest OS has many flaws. Also, many 3rd party applications have not been packaged yet.

7. Tastiger

Any real risks in updating apache?
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/apache2
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    or is there a better (safer way)

8. c3n

c3n Member

@Tastiger, first of all it doesn't mean that if you dont upgrade PHP ASAP you will have Your Joomla hacked. I am with Joomla since 2008 and fixed large number of hacked websites and all I can tell that most of hacked CMS is made via plugins/components vulnerabilities combined with server issues (poor shared hosting). We are maintaining dozens of large Joomla websites mainly on VPS... There is still posibility of hardening old Joomla on old PHP - but in my opinion the best for U is to switch to PHP 7.1 mostly because of performance... if You want to stay safe with Joomla watch Joomla security list for vulnerable plugins/addons and uninstall/delete all unused addons. Disabled plugin is still on server so You need to delete it via CMS panel and check if there is nothing left... for example unused Virtuemart component hidden :)
    Regards

causse likes this.