Upgrade process

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by KatyComputer, Apr 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. KatyComputer

KatyComputer New Member

I am coming from the cpanel world, I am planning on migrating to ISPConfig, I want to understand how updates work assuming I follow: The Perfect Server - Debian 10 (Buster) with Apache, BIND, Dovecot, PureFTPD and ISPConfig 3.1
    When ISPConfig-3.1.16 is released, does this update PHP from 7.3 to 7.4, or is it safe to install 7.4 on an ISPConfig-3.1.15 installation?
    How do we know what can & should be updated? PHP updates are the most likely to break things, but there are quite a few other systems (postfix, dovecot etc) that should be updated regularly.

2. ganewbie

ganewbie Member HowtoForge Supporter

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Seems experience with CPanel has affected your view of server maintenance.
    No.
    No. But you can install additional PHP versions following Tutorial: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...fig-3-from-debian-packages-on-debian-8-and-9/ Websites can use these additional PHP versions, configurable per website. Altering the PHP version the OS and ISPConfig use breaks the system.
    For the Debian OS updates, install and configure unattended-upgrades. Or run apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade twice a week. When it is time to upgrade to Debian 11, follow the Debian 11 release notes for upgrade instructions. Then force reconfigure services for ISPConfig.
    For ISPConfig updates, it is like @ganewbie wrote.

KatyComputer likes this.
  4. KatyComputer

KatyComputer New Member

Thanks for the PHP link.
    Hopefully, I don't start a holy war with this comment, but yes CPanel has affected my view of server maintenance. It was an outstanding solution delivered at a reasonable price. For $200 a year, I could load up a server with 50 domains, host their email websites, mailing lists, chat servers you name it. If something broke, I log into WHM, click a few buttons and a well trained tech would remote into my server and fix it. After fixing whatever I broke (usually within 20 minutes), they tell me what went wrong and how I can fix it myself the next time. As a consequence, a large ecosystem of programmers, web hosting providers and add-one products was developed. I will be bringing Softaculous with me to ISPConfig, I'll miss JetBackup & FleetSSL cPanel. OTOH, I really like the ISPConfig community and the fact ISPConfig sits on top of Debian -- it plays nicely with Proxmox :)
    I suppose I should be thankful the new CPanel owners are now charging $540 per year, I never would have made the switch if not for their arrogance.