Upgrade Roundcube webmail to latest version ISPConfig 3.2

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Logikamente Srl, May 21, 2024.

1. Logikamente Srl

Logikamente Srl New Member

Hi everyone, I'm writing to you because I created a Debian 10 server with ISPConfig 3.2 following the manual guide, step by step. I use this server as a mail server for various clients. I therefore have a single server hostname and various domains with related emails within it.
    I installed Roundcube webmail as per the guide, but I have version 1.3.17. How can I upgrade to the latest available version without encountering errors?
    I also installed the plugins in the screenshot (again from the guide).
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

The mentioned archive in the howto is stale for about 2 years now.
    If you want a newer version, there's some work todo most likely.

Ask yourself if you really need the features within roundcube or leave it as a convinient way
    to read mails in a browser.

Probably some things can be worked out without patching the upstream software.
    Anyway, Debian 10? For Mail-Server? This would imply really old MX software usually
    and may not be up to speed with some providers anymore requireing certain kind of crypto
    and other things. Maybe not for you or now, but updates are not purely to have shiny new things.

Yes you get LTS for the main tree and some security updates but features is usually hopeless :(

ahrasis likes this.
  3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

ahrasis likes this.
  4. Logikamente Srl

Thanks to all. Ok so now i understand i need to upgrade. Can i upgrade the current server? Because i've got like 300 emails and 50 domains in this server, i can't migrate all again.
    Can you help me? What should i do?

5. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes, there are upgrade instructions on this Forum and tutorials. But you should upgrade first to Debian 11 and then to Debian 12.
    Why not? Instead of upgrading current server, you could install a new system, like I wrote in #3, and then use ISPConfig Migration tool to migrate the data.

ahrasis and ztk.me like this.
  6. ztk.me

If you have doubts you are able to upgrade the system, you should work out those doubts.
    You can't use the old server forever, well probably not. Sooner or later there will be a security issue
    which won't get patched or new standards you can't fullfill and all sorts of other things.

There are a lot of explainations on hwo to upgrade, usually if you did not tamper too much, it should work just fine.

What one can do pretty easy and not exactly accurate or to the book;
    rsync your filesystem to another machine while the system is running.
    just have in mind that databases will not work on the target server, thus one would leave out that /var/lib/mysql directory
    you can initialize the directory on the target server using the initialize command ( google, not top of my head but if you need I can look too )
    export dbispconfig, mysql and maybe other databases and import them ( I assume you use an old mysql version too )
    make the target bootable and boot ; if it boots, go back to rescue system and make an image maybe, so you can start over and over until all bugs are sorted
    test your upgrade and if you think it works, go for it.

some caveats of course, server has a different ip, domains needs to be checked using alternative dns server or just plain entry in etc / hosts on your system.

it's all in this forum, really, a lot of times. I'm just too lazy and busy to search the forum for you but hope I could give you some starting points at least

edit: don't forget to disable the cronjobs on the "test" system. before booting!

Last edited: May 22, 2024
    ahrasis likes this.
  7. ztk.me

Also make sure to inform your clients beforehand and with enough time!
    Make a list of noteable changes impacting your clients!
    Available software changes? Defaults changes e.G. default php version for /usr/bin/php crons
    Before you just do the upgrade.
    If you have some important customers to you, check their sites before if they do work / make suggestions how to fix it

And when you test the upgrade beforehand, you can get a pretty good ETA for how long it should take.

8. Logikamente Srl

Thanks to all of you for the solutions. I'd like to check the migration tool maybe.