Upgrade servers in multiserver setup [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by SupuS, Nov 16, 2016.

1. SupuS

SupuS Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    we have few virtual servers in multiserver setup and I would like to upgrade from Debian 6 and Debian 7 to Debian 8 and after that upgrade all servers to ISPConfig 3.1. What is the best way to do it? Our setup looks this way:
    • master server - apache and mysql
    • mail server (one as main server and seccond as backup)
    • dns server (primary and seccondary)
    • web servers - several servers with apache and mysql
    My plan:
    1. prepare new virtual servers with Debian 8
    2. migrate ispconfig installations one by one as Till described here
    3. redirect IP address from old server to the new one
    My questions are:
    1. how to migrate ispconfig installation which is connected to multiserver setup? I tested it but I am in doubt what to set in expert setup because new virtual server didn't connect to master server after I moved IP address to the new virtual server
    2. is there better or safer way how to upgrade all? I know about ISPConfig Migration Tool but I am afraid to use it because I like to have full control over all processes :)
    Thank you

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The most likely reasons for such a failure are:

a) Old IP is still in one of the /etc/hosts files of the cluster.
    b) New IP has not been set for the ispcsrv* user of this slave in the master mysql server.

When a slave can't connect to master, then this is an MySQL connect problem, try to use the mysql connection details for the ispcsrv* user from /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php of the slave server to connect with the mysql command from slave to master. This connect must work as a slave connects to master to pull data.

Moving the ispconfig master and slaves to new systems the "manual" way is fine.

3. SupuS

Thank you for replay Till.
    I use different IP only for installation and migration data. After that I move IP from old server to the new server. I suppose there is no need to change ispcsrv* user in this case .. am I right?

Please can you specify what to choose for these options in ispconfig setup:

ISPConfig mysql database password - should I use the same password as on old server?
    Shall this server join an existing ISPConfig multiserver setup - is it harmless to choose yes and set connection to master server or I should use no and set connection to master server manually in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php?

Thank you

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

yes.

yes

Better chose no here and then setup the ispcsrv user manually in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php

5. SupuS

Hi Till,
    thank you. I upgraded sucessfully.