upgrade to debian buster

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by tsapi, Apr 5, 2020.

1. tsapi

tsapi New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Good morning,
    I have a debian server with ispconfig installed for many many years and have managed to have everything running smoothly through lots of debian and ispconfig upgrades.
    Yesterday night I decided to upgrade debian 9 to the latest debian buster and afterwards to upgrade ispconfig to the latest version.
    The upgrade process of debian seemed to be flawless. The same goes for ispconfig update (which I performed after debian upgrade - I reconfigured the services during ispconfig update).
    But after the ispconfig update my email was broken. The problem seems to be courier. The /etc/courier permissions were all messed up - manually re-reconfiguring ispconfig services didn't help so I worked around the problem manually. The file /etc/courier/authmysqlrc triggered lots of errors in the logfile - I manually worked around this problem too (I inserted the MYSQL_OPT 0 line manually and the Marker lines at the end of the file).
    Now the emails seem to be working but I see following error in the log file:
    authdaemond[718]: failed to connect to mysql server (server=localhost, userid=ispconfig): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
    I checked - the file is there.. systemctl mysqld status says that mysqld is running
    So, my questions are:
    1. What can I do to fix this error?
    2. Is ispconfig support for courier broken? After applying the manual changes I described, I forced reconfiguration of ispconfig services and the changes I had manually done in authmysqlrc were undone (had to redo them).
    After so many years using (and updating) debian and ispconfig it is the first time that things seem to have gone that wrong..
    Thank you very much for your help,
    Basilis

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Courier is not supported or tested in Debian 10 anymore as ISPConfig switched to dovecot several years ago, so it might be that courier is not working in Debian 10 anymore. You should consider switching your system to use dovecot. There is a script available here in the forum that can help with migrating a courier setup to dovecot.

3. tsapi

tsapi New Member HowtoForge Supporter

First of all, thank you very much for your prompt reply.
    Regarding ispconfig and courier - dovecot: I think it would have been a good idea, if somehow users of courier in ispconfig had been warned / informed about the necessity of migration to dovecot, to avoid surprises like the one I had yesterday (with a warning during upgrades, in the ispconfig admin panel etc). Anyway..
    Regarding the migration script: is this http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showpost.php?p=281080&postcount=3 the one you are talking about or is there a newer version? Are there more detailed instructions, other than the guide in the zip file?
    Does the process take care of everything automatically or are there things I have to do manually? Anything particular I should worry about / take care of?
    Best regards,
    Basilis

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The last Debian version that we published courier installation instructions for was Debian 6, so it's quite a while that we promote dovecot as imap and pop3 server in ISPConfig now. You can keep using courier in ISPConfig 3.1 versions for now if you prefer it, but we will not test that anymore, which means you have to create your own config template files for new operating system versions like Debian 10 in case something does not work anymore with the files that ship with ISPConfig. Custom install template files have to be placed in the folder /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/install/, Copy the files from install/tpl/ folder of the ispconfig tar.gz to that directory and modify them.

Regarding conversion script, I moved from courier to dovecot in 2012 and have not used that script since then. There is no more documentation available as far as I know, at least I have not written any. But you might find further threads on that topic here in the forum. In addition to the script, you might have to rin a courier to dovecot script which is provided from dovecot which is able to adjust the index files, otherwise imap clients will probably re-download the emails. In any case, you should make a backup of the ispconfig database and the folder which contains the maildirs (probably /var/vmail).

As an alternative to converting it yourself when, you might want to ask Florian from Business support for a quote: https://www.ispconfig.org/get-support/?type=ispconfig